Sometimes dinner looks like this… And I cannot even tell you how yummy this was.
It’s one of those cuisines that you can eat all year round, simply like this Mediterranean Sumac Chicken. It’s perfect when you have guests over or when you are busy and need something quick to eat, NEW YEAR party, summer grilling season. As you can see it’s just amazingly adaptable to each season and almost any occasion.
Not to mention how easy it is to prepare it. It took me 30 minutes from beginning to finish. I’ve been dying to make sumac chicken sprinkled with Za’atar for a while now, and how lucky I was that my friend had extra that she brought from her last overseas trip.
Now, let start cooking…
Mediterranean Sumac Chicken
- 8-10 Chicken Tenders about 2 lbs
- 1/2 tbsp. Sumac
- 1/2 tbsp. Allspice
- 1 tsp. Dried Parsley
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound of Mushrooms sliced + Drizzle of olive oil + squeeze of lemon juice + pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
- 1/2 English Cucumber diced (read notes)
- 2 tsp. Garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Parsley chopped (or Cilantro)
- 1 tablespoon Dill chopped
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- Pinch of Salt or to taste
- Pinch of Ground Black pepper
- Place chicken tenders into a large dish, then add all the spices, lemon juice, and 1/2 tbsp olive oil.
- Rub on each chicken tender to coat well, then leave it on the countertop for 10 minutes to marinade.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet or frying pan (about 10" size skillet or smaller). Add 1 tablespoon of Olive oil and heat on medium-high temperature.
- Add chicken, and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side. If the skillet is smaller, cook in batches.
- Place cooked chicken on kitchen paper towel and allow it to rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice mushrooms, and add them in the same skillet that you cook chicken. Cook mushrooms with a drizzle of olive oil for 5 minutes on medium-high heat, and season it with salt and add just a generous squeeze of lemon juice.
- Heat pita bread for a minute in the microwave, and serve with sauteed mushrooms, Yogurt-Cucumber Sauce, Calamata Olives, and Za'atar.
Yogurt-Cucumber Sauce: Dice and chop all the ingredients. Mix it with the yogurt very well, and serve with chicken.
You can place Yogurt-Cucumber Sauce in the food processor and make it smoother in texture if you like that way better. I like biting into cucumber so that's why I left it chunky. If you do not like mushrooms, please omit.