Easy Pan-Fried Tofu is such quick tasty bites that you must make. So, in my opinion, you either like tofu or you do not. Yes, that would be my explanation.
It looks like cheese, but it tastes nothing like cheese. It doesn’t have any flavor whatsoever. I get emails about the tofu, and from time to time even cashier would ask how does it taste.
It’s so funny when my husband tries to explain instead of me. I just let him talk about food with people we meet. That being said, he just explains recipes or dishes that I have made using tofu. I crack up on the inside.
I actually made my own tofu and it was deeelicious. You can buy kits and make your own. Such amazing labor of love.
Anyhow, the best part of tofu is that it adapts pretty well to any flavor. For example, if you are going to use it in stews or soups it soaks in a seasoning of the dish and becomes really tasty.
For stews and smoothies, I like using soft tofu, although I used so many times firm too. On the other hand, for frying I always use firm or extra firm. It just holds much better while frying.
In this case, I use Nasoya Organic Firm Tofu that you probably could find in any grocery store in the USA. You are welcome to use any brand that you like or have, or use your homemade.
Oh, we have one more week in front of us and we are that much closer to a New Year. This year seriously past so fast. 2016! Wow! It feels like yesterday we celebrated 2015. Don’t you agree?
Do you go out to welcome a new year, or you are more like the indoor type of person surrounded by family and friends?
With 3 kids, I am glued to my sofa watching a movie or listening to music and eating pizza every year. It’s actually a relaxing night, to be honest.
WATCH MY NEW QUICK VIDEO TUTORIAL Pan-Fried Tofu
If you make my Easy Pan-Fried Tofu recipe please tag me on INSTAGRAM. @sandraseasycooking with hashtag #sandraseasycookig. Thank you so much in advance!
The best part of tofu is that it adapts pretty well to any flavor. This dish is easy and so tasty.
- 1 pack 14 OZ/397g Organic Firm Tofu, cubed
- 1 large egg mixed
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs Japanese bread crumbs, or use any on hand
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt, you can add up to 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp. Dry Parsley
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. Chili powder
- Garnish options:
- Green onions
- Sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp Gochujang Korean chili pepper paste
- 1 Tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Honey
- 1/2 tsp. Soy sauce lite
- 1/2 tsp. Sesame oil
- Sesame seeds
- Frying pan
- Measuring cup/spoons
- Cutting board
- Kitchen Paper towel
- 1 Plate
- 2 mixing bowls
- Drain Tofu, then using a kitchen paper towel, pat-dry until almost all the moisture is gone.
- Cube tofu into equal cubes or you can slice it as well. Transfer it to the bowl.
- Combine seasoning because tofu does not have any taste whatsoever. You may use the seasoning that you like. I used a mix of salt, dry parsley, garlic, and chili powder/or flakes.
- Break an egg into one bowl, and add a cup of breadcrumbs in the other, then season each with an equal amount of seasoning.
- Dip each tofu cube into the egg, then cover it with the breadcrumbs. You could double-dip for a thicker crust. It’s not shown on the video, but half of the cubes I double dipped.
- Preheat the oil to 375F/190C. That’s the standard oil temperature for frying. Use oils that have a high smoking point such as olive oil, peanut oil, sunflower oil, etc.
- Fry for a couple of seconds on each side of the tofu cube or until the tofu is a golden color. It fries, fast! Don’t overcrowd the pan when frying.
- Transfer fried tofu onto the plate with the paper towel to absorb excess grease.
- Serve it as an appetizer or snack with a dip, or over a salad.
You may use any breadcrumbs on hand. Panko breadcrumbs are really the best, but it is not a must.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Thick Bamboo Wood Cutting Board / Kitchen Butcher Block - Heavy Duty Chopping Board With Juice Grooves and Handles. Best for Carving Meat, Fish and Chicken | Perfect Housewarming Gift
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
- Bisetti BT-38313 Non-Stick Aluminum Stonewhite Frying Pan with Lid and Handle, Small, White
- U-Taste 10 Piece Measuring Cups and Spoons Set in 18/8 Stainless Steel
- Chef Collection, Premium 7 Pieces Wooden Cooking and Serving Utensils/Spatulas set |Small,Medium,Long plain,Dotted,Slotted Spatulas, Rice Spoon, Ladle|Nonstick Wooden Gadgets| Great Gift
- Joyce Chen 22-9938, Pro Chef 14 Inch 10 Piece Excalibur Non-Stick Wok Set