Crêpes with Sweet Cocoa, Coconut Sauce
My family’s favorite treat; Crêpes. Sweet or savory, these hit the spot every single time. We simply love them.
This time I changed things up a bit and added crepes in the delicious sauce. It was really satisfying and perfectly coated with sweet cocoa coconut flavors. Sometimes a picture could tell a thousand words instead of me pouring my heart and soul. This recipe is a very good reminder for me… a reminder how I reached the top then drop to the bottom and had to start all over again.
I know it doesn’t make any sense to you, but about 6 years ago I was hired to create or develop recipes for a cookbook and shoot each recipe. After I completed about 30 recipes with two pictures and step by step instructions for each recipe, that clients said that he simply didn’t like it. I was literally crushed. So, I had to do everything all over again with new recipes and pictures as well.
I am a hard worker, and as much as I hated the idea of redoing everything, there was no way out… one of the pictures that client didn’t like was this one, including the recipe, so I‘ve waited to gain self-confidence again and post on my blog without being sad.
I actually really loved this recipe, and crepes are amazing, of course. I could eat them on its own, to be honest. I just wanted to share something personal. Sometimes we feel vulnerable and that’s okay, we are humans and those feels are aright to feel from time to time. We can keep it to ourselves or share it with the world, a friend, or a sibling and perhaps someone will relate to us, in one way or another. I never spoke of that situation before, because I felt afraid to open my heart and speak about it, but I am in such a good place right now that I feel it is finally okay to share and talk about these feelings with everyone.
Have you ever closed up, felt defeated, crushed and didn’t talk about it?
Crêpes with Sweet Cocoa, Coconut Sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose Flour
- 1 3/4 cups Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Butter
- Oil for coating the pan
Sauce per 3-4 crepes:
- 1 tbsp Coconut Butter
- 1/2 tbsp. unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar light
Make the batter:
- Place the flour, milk, eggs, salt, sugar and slightly melted coconut butter in a blender and blend for about 30 seconds or until batter is smooth. Alternatively, whisk everything together in a bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Before cooking the crêpes, assemble everything you'll need by your stove top: the batter, the pan, the oil, the spatula. Ladle or 1/4-cup measuring cup handy.
- Place the pan over medium heat and add a small amount of oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Let it sit on the flame for a minute to get hot. Pour in about 1/4 cup of batter. Immediately, pick up the pan and swirl it to coax the batter into an even layer on the bottom of the pan.
Flip the crêpe:
- When the crêpe has browned slightly on the bottom, carefully work a spatula underneath it and flip. Cook the second side briefly, just to set the batter.
- Cool the crêpe: Tilt the pan and loosen the crêpe, then slide it onto the cooling rack.
- Continue making crêpes: Continue making crêpes with the rest of the batter, adding more oil as needed to keep the crêpes from sticking.
- In the separate pan such as saute pan, add Coconut butter, Cocoa, and Brown Sugar. Let it melt and incorporate at a lower temperature, then fold crêpes into triangles and put a few at the time in the bubbly sugar, cocoa, and coconut butter sauce.
- Allow crêpes to get infused and glazed with the sauce. Take out and place on the plate, continue with the rest of crêpes.
- Add more sugar, Coconut butter, and Cocoa if needed until all the crêpes are done.
How to melt coconut oil or butter:
- Place a Jar in warmer water and wait for about 7-10 minutes until it is melted.
- For this recipe, you may use coconut oil as well. I just had coconut butter and used it for this recipe. Using coconut butter gave me more of a coconut caramel flavor.