I have been planning for a while to post a delicious recipe using my smoker or a grill. Summer season is here so you can make this over and over again during beautiful summer evenings and enjoy it with your family and friends. Also, 4th […]
Search Results: asian
Are you getting caught up in the Olympic games? I am hooked big time. We just cannot stop watching. In between the breaks I prep food, and then cook something quick so we could munch while watching. So, that’s how these quick and delicious wraps […]
General Tso’s Tofu is tasty, beautiful and incredibly easy to make.
I can’t even tell you how many times I get the question about tofu so I try to create delicious recipes using this amazing ingredient.
Since it literally does not taste like anything you must flavor it with the seasonings.
In this case, General Tso’s, Asian inspired sauce is a phenomenal addition to tofu.
It not only flavors it but gives umami that you really want. I am only going to suggest eating it right away.
The reason why I am suggesting eating it right away is that it will lose its crispiness if it sits too long.
We all know that General Tso’s is probably the most well known Asian fried chicken recipe of all, but you must give this one a go.
Also, you must use extra firm or at least firm tofu for this dish.
Softer types of tofu are usually used in soups and stews, although I like to squeeze in firm tofu in my soups as well.
So, the taste of this is a bit sweet, hardly spicy and a whole lot of delicious. It smacks your lips delicious, that is. I have a feeling that you love it.
Well, if you like tofu as well as the flavors of Asian cuisine then I know you will love it.
My husband and I enjoyed it so much that I decided to share this simple and easy recipe.
If you’re following Meatless Mondays’ then, hey, this is a quite perfect dish to make for you and your family.
Hey, if you get the change to make my General Tso’s Tofu, please tag me on Instagram.
@sandraseasycooking with the hashtag #sandraseasycooking.
Thank you so much in advance for all your support. Do not forget to connect on social media with me.
I love seeing your creativity and hearing your thoughts.
RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
General Tso's Tofu recipe is easy and so tasty. Simple meatless dishes always hit the spot.
- 1 block extra-firm organic tofu
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup chicken broth (alt. vegetable broth for vegetarians)
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (mixed with 2 tablespoons water)/ you can use any other sauce thickener.
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- A drizzle of sesame oil
- Take the tofu out of the container and press the whole block between two plates lined with paper towels and top the whole setup with a heavy can. If you have a TOFU press that is helpful as well. This will press out excess moisture from the tofu and make adding flavor easier. Also, pressed tofu absorbs liquids like soy sauce marinate that we are using much better.. Slice or cube the tofu after pressing.
- Combine soy sauce and sesame oil together and add over the cubed tofu. Allow it to marinate for 10 to 15 minutes. Try to turn it a few times so it coats every side.
- Coat the tofu in starch before frying. The alternative to corn starch: You may use arrowroot powder is a fine powder, very similar to cornstarch. It is also gluten-free so if you're sensitive to corn-based products use this powder. It crisps the tofu just like cornstarch, although it might stick to the pan so be aware of that.
- Set a large frying pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. It should not smoke so allow it to just heat. Cast iron holds a higher temperature so turn the heat just a bit down if you are using a cast-iron skillet.
- Add the tofu in a single layer. If your skillet is smaller then make it in two batches. Do not overcrowd a skillet. The tofu should sizzle upon contact when you place it in the hot oil, if not wait for a few seconds until it heats up properly. That is why you should add one and see if the oil is hot enough.
- Fry tofu until it is golden. Wait until the tofu releases from the pan before browning the next side; the underside of the tofu should be golden-brown. Continue frying until all sides are browned and crispy.
- Place each batch on the kitchen paper towel or wire rack, whichever you prefer.
- Put the ingredients for the sauce, except for cornstarch and water mixture, in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and water and mix until smooth in texture. Slowly add to the lightly boiling sauce while continuously stirring.
- Cook for a couple of minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Add crispy tofu to the sauce and coat it well. Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped green onions. Serve immediately. I like drizzling a bit of sesame oil just before serving, but it is optional.
- If you wish to use store-bought General Tso's Sauce, you are more than welcome.
- Tofu must be extra firm or at least firm for this dish.
- If you are vegetarian using vegetable broth for the sauce
The Best Oil for Frying
- Peanut oil
- Soybean oil
- Vegetable oil
- Safflower oil
- Canola oil
- Corn oil
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sweet Pumpkin Porridge is one of those perfect comforting foods during cooler weather. Ah, don’t you just love the smell of cooler weather approaching, beautiful Autumn scenery and comfort food? Alright, perhaps we look forward to comforting holiday food more than anything else, but fall […]
Sometimes you really do not need a whole lot to create an amazing meal. Just look at these tasty Chicken and Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps. They look fire and taste even better. If you like chicken salad or egg salad than you will love these […]
These Tasty Labor Day Recipes that I have picked for you guys are easy, delicious, affordable and approachable. You can make them any time you want not just over Labor Day and 4th of July, or any other holiday.
If you are like my family then you start making plans for BBQ cookout for Labor Day weekend weeks ahead. It is a long weekend so at least 2 days worth of tasty leftovers.
I wish you all safe, and tasty Labor day!
MEAT, FISH, AND POULTRY:
Collection of tasty meat, fish and poultry recipes from my blog!
Can you really start BBQ season without making some amazingly delicious, and finger-licking Smoked St. Louis Style Ribs? I think not.
These ribs are so tasty we have been making them on repeat for our meal prep because they hold so good o the fridge so well for a week.
Simple Halibut Burger Recipe is a must-try. I believe that this is one of the best burgers I have ever made. It is so juicy, tasty and just enchanting.
Who loves Salmon? I simply love it especially made this way. However, I am not picky at all. When it comes down to this delicious fish, I could eat it pretty much any possible way prepared.
These Chicken Fajita Skewers are fresh, tasty, healthy, colorful, and the ultimate summer grilled food that everyone loves.
When I flipped those burgers and saw it, I was breaking a happy dance around the grill. They were delightful, flavorful and in another word orgasmic. I hope you make them soon, too.
I love burgers and I absolutely love my homemade beef burgers. They are really easy, perfectly seasoned and extremely tasty.
We grill a lot and these are always a hit with everyone along with my pita bread. Not to brag or anything, but I am kind of known around here for my homemade bread.
Easy, delicious and a perfect grilled food if you wish to skip grilled meat.
BREAD AND SANDWICHES:
My absolute favorite bread from my blog.
Refreshing, healthy and easy salad recipes that you guys going to love.
We all have a bit of sweet tooth. These dessert or sweet treats are perfect after savory grilled food to share with your loved ones.
If you make any of my Tasty Labor Day Recipes, please tag me on INSTAGRAM @SANDRASEASYCOOKING. Use hashtag #sandraseasycooking so I could share it with others. Thank you so much for your love and support… I wish you a wonderful holiday!
Shrimp Pad Thai, an effortless yet exquisite meal. It’s a shame that a majority of us go for take-out. Just think about how we could make these noodles right at home in less than 30 minutes. I know one thing for sure, this meal will be far healthier. You can use whatever ingredients your heart desires within the making. Well, I have a variety of comfort foods […]
This easy naan bread pizza comes together in 5 minutes and you can even prep everything ahead, plus it is versatile. I had leftover grilled chicken from the weekend, some tomatoes as well as olives, a bit of red onion and voila.
You can really make it vegetarian, or meat pizza, with sauce or like mine without it, the options are endless.
I love simple and easy meals… I mean, I named my blog”easy cooking” after all, so this fits in the affordable, simple and easy meal category.
If you are a single person, or a college student or you have no idea how to cook, seriously, it is super simple, so let me show you how to do it.
HOW to make chicken from scratch:
- 4 chicken breasts
- A generous sprinkle of salt and ground black pepper on each chicken breast
- A generous sprinkle of Chicken Seasoning
- 1/4 tbsp. Herbs (parsley, thyme or rosemary)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice *optional
- Season the chicken well with salt and chicken seasoning, on both sides, then add herbs and pour oil over it, make sure to cover both sides. I like adding lemon juice and/or lemon zest when I have it on hand because it gives this amazingly refreshing aroma and taste as well.
- Allow chicken to marinate for at least 15 minutes in the fridge in the Ziploc bag or in the deeper bowl. Cover the bowl or close the bag and marinade in the fridge.
- Grill chicken on the preheated grill for 3-4 minutes per side or until the internal temp. reads 165F.
- Or you could preheat your skillet or saute pan, add oil and cook for a couple of minutes on each side or until completely done.
- If you want the Asian flavor you can just marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes submerged in 1/2 cup Teriyaki sauce, 2 tbsp Soy sauce, garlic. green onion and ginger.
- Make sure to place chicken in the fridge to marinade. I love using a large Ziploc bag to marinate chicken. You literally, place chicken in the bag, pour marinade mixture over it, close the bag, shake it a bit and place in the fridge, that’s it!
Easy Naan Bread Pizza
- 1 Naan Bread mine was roasted garlic
- 1/2 cup Cheese shredded (Mozzarella, or Pizza Cheese Blend)
- 1/2 Chicken breast, cooked store-bought or homemade, grilled or pan-fried
- 3 Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 3 Olives any on hand
- Herbs for garnish Italian herb mix/blend or any on hand to enhance the flavor
- Red chili flakes
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Add cheese on top of Naan bread, then add cooked chicken sliced into cubes, olives, tomatoes.
- Sprinkle some Italian herbs and red chili flakes.
- Bake it for 3 minutes then turn the broiler on high and bake for an additional minute or two, or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Slice and eat... Enjoy!
You may bake it in a conventional oven, which cooking time might be less than in my directions. You can use the microwave to make this. It will not be as crunchy, but still just as tasty. You can add any topping that you like; Hawaiian pizza, vegetarian pizza, three meat pizza, etc. possibilities are endless.
Chicken and Mixed Vegetables Stir fry is a simple and easy weeknight dinner, which makes it an excellent weekend meal as well. My family typically seeks for stir-fry ones a week, so since we have so many amazing versatile stir-fry recipes I change vegetables or […]