It’s finally zucchini bread time. I really wanted to post it over the weekend, but sometimes things don’t work like we want them to, however, here we go… It’s today!
I had some blog’s technical issues as well as internet problems, so you can imagine trying to work on something and due to the storm, my internet started to make kicks. I was like, I better leave everything for tomorrow or I just might go insane attempting the impossible mission.
Zucchini bread… hm! I told ya before that I got inspired by the book that I was reading a while ago, so I made my own version of it. It’s delicious, but to be honest, it’s perfect the next day when you slice it, warm it up and spread whatever spread you’d like on that slice (Nutella, wink^). It’s sweet, but not overly sweet… If you ask my daughter and her daddy, they’d say “add 1/2 cup more sugar“, but for me was just the right amount.
Sometimes I’d add sour cream, but I like it better with Greek yogurt. Also, the number of times I added ripe bananas and/or applesauce and it was great, too. Applesauce works fantastic sub for eggs, so if you don’t have eggs or can’t consume them add applesauce or bananas.
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (62g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts + 1/4 cup for the top
- 2 eggs, mixed
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon + lemon zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Green Apple, peeled and grated
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch loaf pan with butter/oil/or natural oil spray, dust little bit of flour on the bottom of the baking pan as well as sides, and set aside.
- Grate zucchini and an apple with a box grater, using the side with the largest holes. In the grated apple add lemon juice and lemon peel; mix.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, both whole wheat and all-purpose; add salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg; mix.
- Chop walnuts and add to the flour mixture; stir until walnuts are flour coated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, yogurt, and sugar. Fold egg mixture into the flour, then add zucchini and apple with lemon juice and zest. Add water, about 1/2 cup. Mix it well by folding until well combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared baking loaf pan, toss extra chopped walnuts or walnut halves, and bake until risen, deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. *Zucchini slices on top are not necessary/they’ll curl up and burn*
- Cool in pan on a rack for 30 minutes, then remove bread from pan and continue cooling on rack.
- Store in the fridge, airtight container with fitted lid. Most of the time I wrap the leftover bread with plastic wrap/foil and then place in the container.
- Use Applesauce instead of the eggs. Or banana and applesauce for extra sweetness and it will be nicely moist.
- You do not have to add all purpose flour. If you’d like to make just whole wheat add 2 cups of whole wheat flour.
- I DID not try making this bread gluten free. If you try it, please let me know.
- You can use 2 smaller zucchinis or one larger one.