Sorry peeps… I went from one topic to another and if you follow me, you know that I do that often. I can’t help it! An idea pops into my head, an idea that I would like to share and BAM… I go into a whole other world.
Anyhow, let me stick to food. You have no idea how much I love this salad; It’s one of those dishes that when it’s in front of me I cannot stop at one spoon or two. It’s a total comfort to me, so many memories… There were no celebration, birthdays, or gatherings that we didn’t serve it along with a table full of other comfort food. New Year Eve was not complete without this salad, as well as cold pizza. After pulling an all-nighter, dancing, drinking it was hitting the spot type of early morning food!
I know many of you are trying to make yourself skinnier, healthier and stay away from fatty and caloric food and I support you 100%, but if you eat portion size (about 1/2 cup) and use mayo dressing or mayo light you can cut calories and still enjoy this delicious salad at least once in a while. If you are not eating eggs, by all means, skip them, but they are part of the salad, although it doesn’t taste half bad without it.
*You can use canned or frozen veggies, however, I used fresh and cooked everything myself. But if you are in a hurry, and have some cans in a pantry or in the freezer this salad could be done in a matter of 15 minutes, maybe less if you are not using eggs!
Olivier Salad- Russian Salad
- 1 1/2 cups Peas
- 2 Large Carrots sliced/or cubed
- 1 Large Potato/or 2 medium
- 8-10 Pickles/Kosher Dill
- 2 cups Hickory Smoked Ham cubed
- 3 boiled eggs
- 1 cup corn
- 1 Pinch of Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoons Yellow Mustard
- 3 tablespoons Light Mayo Mayonnaise /Mayo dressing/Olive Oil Mayonnaise
- Cook until tender peas, carrots, corn, and potatoes. Boil eggs (hard boiled eggs)
- Cut ham into small cubes, sliced pickles, and place in large bowl; set aside.
- When vegetables are tender and still hold the shape and color, drain and let them cool for 10 minutes. Slice carrots and cube potatoes (peeled), and mix everything with ham and pickles
- Add a pinch of salt, add black pepper and gently fold with a large spatula or spoon.
- Add yellow mustard and Mayonnaise once vegetables are cooled down enough. Lightly stir, but try to coat all the ingredients. Place it in an airtight container and in the fridge for at least 1h before serving. It can stay in the fridge up to 5 days in an airtight container. Serve it cold!