You would be quite surprised how tasty this is. Baked Tofu with Mushrooms slow-cooked in Roasted Pepper Sauce is such an easy meal to make.
I know this might be unusual to see, but trust me because this was really delicious.
Sometimes I want to make one thing and end up making something completely different. This recipe actually came out of a pure experiment.
I wanted to make crispy tofu for my salad, but then when I opened that box of tofu, I thought why not try this.
That’s cooking for me, always experimenting, trying something new and if it’s good I make it again and watch the reaction of my taste testers.
If you are following me, you know that both of my boys dislike mushrooms, but Aleks loves Tofu so four of us enjoyed it except for Daniel, my youngest one.
I believe that you could add other vegetables, like cauliflower, peas, green beans, carrots, leafy greens, etc.
For broccoli, I would suggest adding them the last like 5-7 minutes unless you like mushy broccoli.
I went with just mushrooms because I love them and they enchase the flavor of this dish.
Now, if you’ve never tried tofu, I know hard to believe that somebody never did. However, you’d be surprised how many times I was asked in the store how does it taste?
Tofu might look like a block of softer cheese, but it does not taste like cheese whatsoever. It does not have any flavor that I could point my finger at the certain food.
That’s why it is amazing with other flavors because it absorbs whatever you are using.
For example, if you are going to add to some spicy soup, it will pick up all that spicy flavor of the soup, in this case, it absorbed the aroma and the taste of roasted pepper sauce. It was rather amazing.
If I am making something like this, either baked or smoked tofu, which I will post in the near future, I prep my tofu. I use organic firm or extra firm tofu because it holds the shape better.
I will explain in the recipe how I prep my tofu and of course, how I make this dish. It is super easy!
If you try my Baked Tofu with Mushrooms recipe, please tag me on INSTAGRAM. @sandraseasycooking using hashtag #sandraseasycooking.
Thank you so much in advance!
This sauce is absolutely amazing! You just want to dip the tofu in that sauce and enjoy it fully.
- 1 pack organic firm or extra firm tofu
- 1/2 lb organic baby Bella mushrooms or any on hand, (approximately 1/2 pack)
- 4 Garlic Cloves crushed
- 1 1/2 cup roasted pepper pasta sauce (marinara sauce would do it too)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-3 Sprigs lemon thyme optional, I used fresh
- 1 1/2 cup cheese shredded (I used aged Provolone Cheese + Sharp Cheddar); You may use any that you like or have. Dairy-free would do if you do not consume dairy.
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Tofu Prep: In a large bowl add about 3 cups of warm water and 2 tbsp Salt (I used sea salt); Stir. Take Tofu out of the package and place it in the salted water for about 10 minutes. Take it out after 10 minutes, and press lightly tofu block with either heavy skillet or a heavier pot to remove excess water (you can use tofu press if you have one). You can keep it under heavy pot/skillet for an additional 5 minutes. Using kitchen paper towel pat try tofu.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Using a smaller baking dish, Add about 3-4 tablespoons of Roasted Pepper sauce.
- Place Tofu in the middle, and drizzle about half of the sauce over the Tofu and around the baking dish.
- Gently clean mushrooms and cut them into halves, peel garlic cloves and crush them.
- Add Mushrooms and garlic around tofu and add chili flakes, salt, pepper, and herb. Arrange nicely and equally all around tofu and mushrooms and garlic. Then add the rest of the sauce over it. Spread and move around tofu and mushrooms so everything could get at least partly coated with the sauce.
- Shred cheese, if it’s not shredded already and drizzle a bit of olive oil all over the ingredients.
- Bake on medium-low for 30-40 minutes. It depends on your oven. Mushrooms should be completely cooked and cheese melted with a deep golden hue. Just keep your eye on it after a 30-minute mark.
Any leftovers, cover, and place in the fridge.
If you do not eat dairy, try one that is dairy-free (Daiya makes vegan/dairy-free cheese).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Le Regalo HW1243 3-Piece Vintage Baking Dish Set, Oven, Dishwasher, Freezer Safe, 14x8.5x2.5, Off-White
- Rachael Ray 58314 Cucina Stoneware Casserole Set, 3-Piece Casserole & Lid, Agave Blue
- Cuisinart TOA-60 Convection Toaster Air Fryer, One Size, Silver
- Lodge EC3D33 Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven, 3-Quart, Caribbean Blue