I could eat this for a breakfast, lunch or dinner. Sometimes, I’d add Italian sausage and cheese, but this time I kept it meatless and pretty simple. There is something when you combine potatoes, peppers, and onion. The almost instant flavor is created when you cook it together.
So, when I was thinking what to post on my blog that doesn’t include any meat, and it’s not a bowl of greens, this came to mind. I make this dish often, and enjoy it with a cup of tea or a morning coffee.
You do not have to use a skillet. This time I didn’t use it, but most of the time I actually do. The flavors are just so good when you use a skillet. I guess it’s because of the heat that is spread around it, however, it’s not a must. I just wanted to let you all know.
Now, let’s get to it. Happy Cooking!
Potatoes and Eggs Skillet
Simple and Delicious Breakfast or Brunch idea.
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium potatoes peeled and cubed (1 cup of frozen Diced Southern Hash Brown Potatoes could be used)
- 1/4 Yellow Onion diced
- 1/2 Bell Pepper (I used Red for the sweetness)
- Salt and Ground black pepper to taste Pinch or two of each
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper or Chili flakes
- 2 eggs + Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Za'atar
- Pinch of Sumac
- Fresh Parsley
- Fried Onions
- Wash, peel and dice potatoes. IF you are using frozen, just set aside for 10 minutes just to defrost a bit, but they do not have to be frozen all the way.
- Heat a skillet or a pan and add oil.
- Add potatoes to cook on a medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring to prevent from burning.
- To the potatoes add diced bell pepper and onion, then stir. You may add a bit more oil if the potatoes are sticking to each other or on the bottom of the pan.
- Season it with salt, pepper, dried parsley, and cayenne pepper. Keep stirring to combine and cook everything for 5 more minutes.
- Break eggs, season with a pinch of salt, and with the spatula, try to separate potatoes underneath and allow the egg white to go all around without breaking egg yolk. You can mix eggs and pour it, over it, but sunny side up, eggs are wonderful like this. They cook, they are never overcooked.
- After about a minute or two of trying to cook an egg white, turn the heat off, and cover the skillet or a pan and let it cook under the lid for about 2 minutes or until you are satisfied with the egg texture - soft or hard egg yolk.
- Garnish the dish and enjoy.
Garnish is optional, but all combined together gives an amazing aroma and taste.