As soon as I teased you all with these last week, I started getting emails for the recipe. Again very simple recipe, and you don’t have to slave in the kitchen
Like I said in the notes, this can be easily made with chicken wings, chicken tenders and so on. However, if I am making chicken tenders I like to kind of saute it the pan and just pour the glaze over it, cook until it gets all bubbly and sticky
Last time when I posted chicken wings with sriracha sauce you loved it. So, I thought let us try something similar, but with drumsticks. They were slightly stickier than the wings but I liked it.
As for garlic, I have not used this time in the sauce because garlic can take over the flavor. While it was marinating, the chicken got the kick of garlic aroma. However, not as much to take the flavor away from the chicken. Just to let you know, my chicken drumsticks are not burned on the bottom.
Actually, the color on the bottom of the pan is dark, deep red, but it was hard to capture that. Once I half baked marinated chicken, I pulled 6 of them out to glaze so that is how I got two recipes out of the marinated chicken
Spicy Sticky Baked Glazed Chicken Drumsticks
- 8-10 chicken drumsticks
- Drizzle of Oil
- Sprinkle Seasonings for chicken to taste, such as Webers, or McCormick
- 1/2 cup light Soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- Juice of 1 Orange plus zest, optional
For the glaze:
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 4 Tbsp Asian Chili Sauce/paste use less for less heat. Read notes.
- 4 Tbsp Chicken stock/Beef or vegetable as a sub.
- Light soy sauce to taste approx. 1/2-1 tsp
- 2 Tbsp Lemon or Lime juice
- Drizzle sesame oil and garnish with sesame seeds
- In a large Ziploc bag place chicken drumsticks. You can take the skin off if you dislike.
- Pour in Soy sauce and drop crushed and peeled garlic, you can mince if you wish, for little kick and sweetness balance it with the juice of 1 orange, and zest of 1 orange(optional**). Close the bag, massage the chicken drumsticks with all the marinade for few seconds to code everything. Put on the side and let it marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 400F. Lightly oil a large baking dish. Season the drumsticks seasoning for chicken and arrange in the dish in a single layer. Drizzle over a little olive oil and bake in the hot oven for 45 minutes. Internal temp of the drumsticks needs to reach at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the meantime, prepare the glaze. Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl until evenly combined, season it with soy sauce just to your taste preferences. Drizzle or two would be enough.
BAKE chicken until completely done, then transfer chicken into saute pan, pour in the glaze mixture and just saute for 5 or more minutes on high, turning chicken few times. Cook until the glaze is bubbling, gets thicker and all the chicken drumsticks are evenly coded with the glaze. Also, you can do this with the chicken wings, or chicken breast, cut into strips or even bite-size pieces.
- Glaze drumsticks 3-4 at the time, depending on how big they are. Make sure to turn a few times until it’s all coded. Turn down the heat on medium/low because glaze can and will burn if you are not standing close by.
- Serve it with balanced meal-perhaps rice or potatoes with any other veggie as side dishes.
- You can marinate it over night, just place it in the fridge and make sure that the bag is sealed. The flavor will get even deeper from the soy sauce, garlic, juice, and zest.
- My personal preferences for the Chili Sauce is Korean red hot chili paste called gochujang or Sriracha.