These Bacon Wrapped Chicken Drumsticks are amazing with any side-dish. We love it with mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes, but I made it before with sauteed veggies as well as shredded cabbage. This chicken drumsticks are lick your fingers delicious. Did I get your mouth to water? I…
Tag: LUNCH BOX
One of my favorite animals is pandas. They are so cute and cuddly…I even have a panda pillow, and I am not kidding! So, I got really inspired by Pinterest bento ideas, especially ones that have a panda. There is not much work here, just…
Happy April 1st My favorite month is finally here
I love April so I am sharing one my favorite to go lunches-it’s simple, easy, delicious and so colorful: Kimbap or Gimbap!
I had so much fun yesterday with the kids. It was raining, we stayed indoors but I already had a plan in my head how to make my kids entertained
Trust me if my 10 years old can do it, you can do it too.
Today they went to school proud of themselves because they prepared kimbap and their school lunch
I made Kimbap many times before but always with different filling and they are really versatile. You may use ingredients whatever you or your kids like. They are similar to Japanese Makizushi or Maki Roll (Futomaki-fat roll).
The difference is in rice preparation and any kind of Japanese rolls are usually served with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger (gari). The Kimbap commonly is not.
Kimbap is a Korean traditional Picnic/Finger fast
So let’s get started:
Delicious lunch box-kimbap
- 4 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 tbs. Rice vinegar
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tbs. Sesame Oil + for brushing on the rolls
- Dry Seaweed sheets (kim/gim)
- filling options:
- carrots, julienned
- pickled daikon (white radish)
- toasted sesame seeds
- tuna/ham/spam/chicken/beef, it can be any meat, or you can keep it vegetarian
- Put about 4 cups of good quality premium sushi rice in the pot with the water. (wash the rice then cook, put water about a finger thick above the rice which is about less than 1 cm/0.4 inches) Once the rice boils, turn it down, stir, cover and let it simmer to the lowest temp for 10 minutes. Take it off and let it be under the closed lid for 5 more minutes; Fluff the rice and place in a large plastic bowl. If you have a rice cooker then follow the instructions.
- Make your mixing sauce by mixing up salt, vinegar until the liquid looks clear, then add sesame oil. Mix
- rice with the mixing sauce and stir it evenly; Set aside!
- Prepare a large plate to arrange all ingredients for kimbap by slicing it into thin strips-preferably the same size.
- Place on the sushi/kimbap mat dry seaweed then put a bit of rice but do not go all the way from one end to the other-try to keep it from the sides and you can adjust the thickness; again don't go too thick because it will be hard to roll. Click Here for better instruction.
- Put the ingredients on the top side by side that you wish to use and roll it. Brush each uncut roll with sesame oil and cut into bite size rolls, but you can eat them without cutting.
- You can store them in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to two days although they are the best when eaten fresh.