This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of the Minerva Dairy. All opinions are entirely my own. If you want to churn your recipe up to the next level, I encourage you to use Minerva tasty butter to make my Caramelized Onion Tart. […]
Search Results: tart
Peach Tart with Lemon Thyme is such an amazingly delicious and at the same time beautiful tart. Baking and Cooking, the hands-down are the most relaxing things to do on my list. Both being extremely therapeutic, of course, just like reading a good book or […]
Sweet Pumpkin Porridge is one of those perfect comforting foods during cooler weather.
Ah, don’t you just love the smell of cooler weather approaching, beautiful Autumn scenery and comfort food?
Alright, perhaps we look forward to comforting holiday food more than anything else, but fall weather and scenery is up there, too?!
I just love going to mountains this time of year and breathing fresh air, enjoying gorgeous nature and looking at trees that look like man-made color placements.
To be honest, there is nothing more relaxing than enjoying a quiet time in nature. I worked so hard this year that I need one more short weekend getaway, preferably with my hubby only. Just two of us!
Well, to be honest, I’d miss my kids and kitties way too much. Needless to say, the weekend getaway does sound like a dream right now.
Let’s talk more about this tasty and sweet pumpkin porridge. It is a simply delightful comfort with every spoon you take.
I understand that it is not everyone’s cup of tea, nevertheless, it is so delicious and above all fulfilling as well as healthy.
Since it is Pumpkin season I wanted to share pumpkin recipes and some of its health benefits.
- Pumpkins/squashes are not only delicious but like I said healthy; they relieve stress, they’re good for weight loss, good for eyes and skin, it boosts the immune system and helps the digestive system and yes, they could reduce risk of cancer. I believe it is in the category of super-foods!
When I was growing up, rice porridge was usually offered to the kids. Which is not as flavorful.
However, it was mostly eaten when we felt sick and needed something light just to keep us going, and through the days of illness.
Any porridge is good for the digestive system because it’s light and texture is easy to digest.
I made a twist, a huge one on Korean traditional pumpkin porridge called Hobaak Jook (juk). I am not saying that Korean pumpkin porridge is not delicious, on the contrary, it is very comforting, especially if you like pumpkin.
First, instead of boiling, I roasted pumpkin. The best one for porridge or even soups is winter squash such as Butternut, Lakota, Kabocha, Buttercup squashes/pumpkins. My favorite is Kabocha, which I found in Trader Joe’s.
Pumpkin is naturally sweet, but the winter squash that I wrote above is just a little sweeter. I like to mix different pumpkins as it gives better and different levels of flavor.
Also instead of sugar, I used organic honey, and spices such as ground ginger, cinnamon and pumpkin spice which made a huge difference. With all the changes and twists you are increasing the flavor as well as health benefits.
Comparing rice that you granulate yourself vs. sweet rice flour in pumpkin porridge, I like granulated rice because even though that coarse rice is cooked it still gives you little nuttiness.
You might also like:
If you make my Sweet Pumpkin Porridge, please tag me on Instagram. @sandraseasycooking with hashtags #sandraseasycooking. I would love to share your creations with everyone. Thank you so much in advance!
Sweet Pumpkin Porridge is one of those perfect comforting foods during cooler weather
- 3 lb pumpkin or winter squash (Salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, brown sugar - Few pinches on each slice)
- 1 cup Sweet Mochi Rice/Glutinous Rice (or Flour)/Water, enough to cover over the rice for soaking
- 1-1.5 cup water, for cooking
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Pumpkin Spice
- Organic Honey, to taste /or other sweeteners
- Pumpkin seeds for garnish, or any nuts
- Wash the rice 3-4 times and soak in a big bowl for about an hour.
- When the rice is soaked at least 1 hour (although, it's the best if you soak it for a couple of hours) place rice into a food processor with a bit of water and puree until it gets completely granulated. READ NOTES
- Preheat oven on 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pumpkin Prep: Slice the pumpkin into thicker slices (be careful), take out the seeds and reserve for later; Season pumpkin with few pinches of salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, and brown sugar to taste. Rub all over and place in baking pan. Roast until the pumpkin slices are tender, about 30-40 minutes. Once done, separate skin from the pumpkin flesh (be careful it could be still hot) and Puree in a food processor, and add a little bit of water so it's easier to puree. I ended up with little more than 2 cups of pumpkin puree.
- In a large pot add 1 cup of water and pumpkin puree. Stir until it bubbles, then start adding the rice puree, keep stirring and add pumpkin spice, salt, and honey.
- Stirring is very important because it can stick to the bottom of the pot very fast. Lower the heat on simmer, and slowly just stir for 5 minutes. Add more water when porridge becomes too thick, and cook for 20 more minutes on simmer. It's done when rice becomes smoother and cooked. Taste the porridge and add more sweetener to your taste preference.
- Garnish with roasted and peeled pumpkin seeds OR chopped nuts. Serve on room temperature.
- You can skip the part of soaking the rice and instead use sweet Glutinous rice flour ..just make sure to mix it into a smooth texture (with water). You can find videos regarding this type of porridge. When you are using flour, it will be more smooth. I like the texture of granulated rice in porridge. You can also make it thick or thinner just by adjusting it with water. When you taste that rice is cooked take it off the stove and cover. It's all in the taste senses, so use them!
- For pumpkin seeds, I wash them, dry with kitchen paper towels and then toss on the newspaper then outside to air dry completely. Preheat oven on 400F then put sea salt, I used actually sriracha salt and it was fantastic. Bake until they are toasted. However, if you going to garnish porridge with pumpkin seeds, of curse peel them.
- For baby food, I would definitely either make rice cooked with adding more water or use flour because it gives you a smooth texture. If the baby is not at least year and a half please do not use honey, and add some other natural sweetener. Of course, you got to keep it a notch down because babies can't handle sweet like adults.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
School is in a full session for over two months now, so these delicious and Fluffy Cream Cheese Blueberry Pancakes make an appearance on our table quite often. We are almost at the Fall break, but temperatures are not getting any better. We are still […]
These tasty, moist and beautiful Gluten-Free Banana Cocoa Muffins are absolutely amazing for breakfast, brunch or dessert. We were quite impressed by the gluten-free all-purpose flour and the way these muffins turned out. Yes, my family tried to eat gluten-free most of the time if […]
I could eat this delicious Roasted Cauliflower and Cheese probably every other day. Well, I like calling this Mac-flower and Cheese ’cause I used Cauliflower instead of macaroni.
This recipe blew my Instagram account after food52 reshared my picture of Mac-flower and Cheese. Since I did not have a recipe on my blog, I received well over 300 messages, all asking for this recipe. It was a madhouse for a good week.
So I re-tested a recipe twice again to make sure. I am not a huge fan of cream cheese addition, but my family really likes it so I will give you an option. You can use it or omit.
You can use this cheese sauce over roasted potatoes, peppers or broccoli. It is so good!
Don’t get me wrong, cream cheese does not make this sauce bad, just I like it better without it.
What makes this meal unique? It’s cauliflower and we all know the hype over this brain food. Also, it is lower in carb and really delicious. Even my kids eat this one and my boys are not fans of cauliflower but they are eating this way.
I feel like even if you eat carbs roasted cauliflower could be mixed with macaroni and cheese. That way you eat a slightly “healthier” pasta.
I always loved cauliflower so I could eat it literally any possible way. Give the cauliflower a chance as well as this yummy recipe. I know it is not everyone’s cup of tea, but it is really not bad at all.
Also, you have two option on how to prepare cauliflower; roasted on the oven or use your air fryer. It is so easy when you pop cauliflower florets in the air fryer. No mess!
I love my air fryer for real, but you can totally use sheet pan and just roast in the oven. The conventional oven is alright as well, as long as you cook cauliflower.
If you try this recipe for any other from my site please tag me on Instagram. @sandraseasycooking #sandraseasycooking. Thank you in advance!
Easy and delicious side dish. It is perfect with any protein or on its own.
- 2-3 pounds cauliflower
- Salt, ground black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil
- Pinch or two of herbs such as dried parsley
- 1 1/4 cup heavy whipped cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon organic turmeric powder
- 6 ounces mild cheddar, shredded
- 3 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- Salt to taste
- 1-ounce mild cheddar, shredded
- a drizzle of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- Wash and separate cauliflower into bite-size pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper then drizzle with olive oil.
- Toss it to coat then cook in the air fryer at 375 Fahrenheit for 16-17 minutes or roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 400F. Make sure that cauliflower is in one layer on the baking sheet.
While cauliflower is cooking prep for the cheese sauce. You can use pre-shredded cheese but it is so much better if you shred it yourself.
- Now, heat heavy whipped cream on medium heat, then add butter and allow it to slightly melt.
Add cream cheese, black pepper, and turmeric and stir.
- Add shredded cheese then mix it well.
- Keep stirring so the cheese could melt.
- The sauce will start to get thicker. Now, taste it and add salt according to your taste.
- Place cauliflower into the skillet, pour cheese over it, slightly stir to coat then add a drizzle of olive oil and a bit of shredded cheese. Add a good sprinkle of dried parsley.
- Turn the stove off and serve immediately.
You do not need to use cream cheese but according to 5 people, it tasted much better with the cream cheese and two tests.
I never tried placing it overnight in the fridge.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- GreenPan Rio 7" Ceramic Non-Stick Open Frypan, Black
- Cuisinart TOA-60 Convection Toaster Air Fryer, One Size, Silver
- OMORC 6 quart Air Fryer, Air Fryers, 1800W Fast Large Hot Air Fryers & Oilless Cooker w/Presets, LED Touchscreen(for Wet Finger)/Roast/Bake/Keep Warm, Dishwasher Safe, Nonstick,2-Year Warranty(ME122)
- T-fal C728S2 Initiatives Nonstick Ceramic Coating PTFE PFOA and Cadmium Free Scratch Resistant Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe 8-Inch and 10-Inch Fry Pan Cookware Set, 2-Piece, Gold
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 622 Total Fat: 51g Saturated Fat: 27g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 127mg Sodium: 751mg Carbohydrates: 21g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 10g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 26g
SANDRA’S EASY COOKING a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking recommended products to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. My Amazon Store
When you want to have a quick meal with your family, Pan-Fried Eggplant with Mozzarella and Marinara is definitely the way to go. It is just so nice with a nice bowl of mixed greens. A pretty balanced meal that my family and I really […]
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of the Minerva Dairy. All opinions are entirely my own. What a better way to start September than with warm and appetizing sage and brown butter gnocchi. This delightful dish screams comfort food to me. Fall food […]
These Tasty Labor Day Recipes that I have picked for you guys are easy, delicious, affordable and approachable. You can make them any time you want not just over Labor Day and 4th of July, or any other holiday.
If you are like my family then you start making plans for BBQ cookout for Labor Day weekend weeks ahead. It is a long weekend so at least 2 days worth of tasty leftovers.
I wish you all safe, and tasty Labor day!
MEAT, FISH, AND POULTRY:
Collection of tasty meat, fish and poultry recipes from my blog!
Can you really start BBQ season without making some amazingly delicious, and finger-licking Smoked St. Louis Style Ribs? I think not.
These ribs are so tasty we have been making them on repeat for our meal prep because they hold so good o the fridge so well for a week.
Simple Halibut Burger Recipe is a must-try. I believe that this is one of the best burgers I have ever made. It is so juicy, tasty and just enchanting.
Who loves Salmon? I simply love it especially made this way. However, I am not picky at all. When it comes down to this delicious fish, I could eat it pretty much any possible way prepared.
These Chicken Fajita Skewers are fresh, tasty, healthy, colorful, and the ultimate summer grilled food that everyone loves.
When I flipped those burgers and saw it, I was breaking a happy dance around the grill. They were delightful, flavorful and in another word orgasmic. I hope you make them soon, too.
I love burgers and I absolutely love my homemade beef burgers. They are really easy, perfectly seasoned and extremely tasty.
We grill a lot and these are always a hit with everyone along with my pita bread. Not to brag or anything, but I am kind of known around here for my homemade bread.
Easy, delicious and a perfect grilled food if you wish to skip grilled meat.
BREAD AND SANDWICHES:
My absolute favorite bread from my blog.
Refreshing, healthy and easy salad recipes that you guys going to love.
We all have a bit of sweet tooth. These dessert or sweet treats are perfect after savory grilled food to share with your loved ones.
If you make any of my Tasty Labor Day Recipes, please tag me on INSTAGRAM @SANDRASEASYCOOKING. Use hashtag #sandraseasycooking so I could share it with others. Thank you so much for your love and support… I wish you a wonderful holiday!
You either love matcha or despise it. I love matcha, aka green tea powder. One of my favorite ice creams is Matcha Ice Cream with Dark Chocolate. We all know green tea powder is very healthy. It gives us energy without the anxiety, crash or jitters. Make us all younger as well as calms the mind and relaxes […]