Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole, in my opinion, is one of the best side dishes for the holiday season, as well as all year round weeknight dinner dish.
I do not make this often. Simply because my family cannot stop eating it until the baking dish is licked clean. We just love this meal so much.
Well, what’s not to like, right? We have creamy potatoes, cheese, and bacon. It literally cannot get any better than that. All my favorite things in one bite.
Ever since we went low carb, my husband and I do not eat potatoes, but my kids reminded me just last week about this one. So, with that being said, I realized that I never in these 9 years of blogging posted this incredibly easy recipe.
Now, you can serve this with a side of steamed veggies, or with some meat. I feel like it is absolutely perfect for holiday family gatherings,
I know that many of you, especially veteran-moms like me, have come up with a similar recipe. P
Easy, tasty and a perfect side dish for your weeknight meals or holiday gatherings.
- 4 pounds Russet Potatoes
- 5 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- ½ cup Half and Half, a splash more if needed
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- Kosher Salt to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, split in half
- 5-6 Slices of Hickory Smoked Bacon
- 1 tbsp. Chopped Chives or Green Onions, green part
- Peel and dice the potatoes in the equal size. Place the potatoes in the large pot and cover with water. Add a generous pinch of salt. Boil the potatoes over medium high heat in the water about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain the potatoes well, then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the butter, sour cream, milk, garlic powder, and salt. Smash the potatoes with a fork or potato masher. For the creamiest mashed potatoes use a hand mixer. Mix until smooth in texture. It is the best blending tool for it.
- Add half of the shredded cheddar cheese and fold in to combine.
- Place mashed potatoes in the baking dish and try to make the top smooth. Then add the rest of the shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted.
- While the Casserole is baking, cook bacon. After it is crunchy, transfer it to kitchen paper towel then crumble it.
- Top baked mashed potato casserole with bacon and chopped chives or green onions.