Do you like Cold Brew? Are you buying it all the time? Well, I got to tell you that I stopped buying coffee all together in the coffee shops unless I am meeting a friend.
I do not see a point at all when I can make coffee just the way I like it. Plus, I save a few bucks along the way. I love a strong, dark roast coffee so sometimes I really cannot get that taste especially if I get it in the most popular cafes.
Yes, some of them do surprise me every now and then, but not often. I am very picky when it comes to coffee.
Since my daughter and I only drink coffee in our household, I make one batch for two of us. Of course, she does not drink it every single day, so I consume her serving as well. I love making a smaller amount so that way we always have freshly made brew.
Add coffee in the French Press, then add filtered COLD water. Yes, you can add hot water, however, that is when the coffee starts to bloom and release different flavor, even aroma. So when you pour cold water, you will get the lower acidity and some flavor compounds do not come through via cold brewing, which gives it a smoother taste.
At first add a bit of water, like a splash, then mix to make coffee wet, then add the rest. Stir well again! Place the top on but do not push all the way down.
We need to allow the coffee to brew from 12 to 24 hours in the fridge. This is crucial for your cold
When the time comes to consume it, push the filter down and pour it into your glass, preferably over the ice. You may add sweetener and cream, or perhaps enjoy it just the way it is.
Cold Brew Coffee
- 6 tablespoons Coarse Grind Coffee preferably dark roast
- 16 fl oz Filtered Water
- Cream and sweetener as desired
- Add coffee in the French press, then add a splash of water to wet the coffee.
- Mix the coffee to wet it throughout and pour the rest of the water. Stir again!
- Place the top of the French press on, but do not press it down, just lay it on the top.
- Transfer the French press to the fridge and allow it to cold brew for 12 to 24 hours. The more is in the fridge brewing the taste will be stronger. If you do not prefer stronger coffee than you may drink it after 12 hours.
Usually, I make another batch as soon as I am done with the coffee.
You can use a mason jar to make cold brew. Use nut-bag, cheesecloth or fine strainer as a filter.