With Potatoes and Broccoli
I am so thankful for a slow cooker. It is one amazing invention and I wish I used it before. Even though I work from home, this is a lifesaver on a busy day
How is freaking awesome that?
BBQ food is my favorite from the food pyramid. Joke on the side, my love for BBQ shredded pulled apart pork or any meat is not even funny. It is right up there with bread and pasta.
So, I have been using this recipe for a year now. Slow cooker came to be a much easier solution for me when I have to leave my house, which is quite often these days
However, if I am home all day, I like using trusty Xtrema Ceramic Dutch Oven, which is absolutely fantastic
This recipe is what my family prefers. You can use it with BBQ sauce or without
If you like a bit spicy use it, you will see what I am talking about. It is simply fantastic with Sriracha and bbq sauce.
Potatoes and Broccoli
- 1 pound Broccoli florets frozen or fresh + salt
- 2 pounds Young yellow potatoes or as much as you can fit in one layer in a large skillet
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Wash potatoes, then season with salt and pepper
- Turn the oven to 400F.
- Heat skillet on the stove top with oil.
- Add potatoes to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, turn at least one time.
- Transfer a skillet to the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes, until tender and cooked through.
- If the broccoli is fresh, then cut the florets off and wash throughout.
- Boil 2 cups of water with 2 teaspoons of salt and place broccoli in the boiling water.
- Cook for 60 seconds, and rinse out with cold water.
- If the broccoli is frozen, and if the bag is not for microwave steaming, then open the bag and drop in hot water and cook for 15-20 seconds, and wash under cold water. Otherwise, place the bag in the microwave and steam according to the broccoli package.
Before cooking potatoes, I measure potatoes by placing them in the skillet and use that amount. You may use a large baking pan and use more potatoes. Also, I always heat the skillet on the stove top to get it started. You can use a mixture of yellow/gold, red and purple potatoes.
They all taste amazing. I just had these golden so that’s what I used. Cook pork first and an hour before pork is done, start cooking potatoes if you are going to serve it that day, if not, just store the pork in the fridge after it is fully cooled.
Of course, you would cook broccoli at the last minute. They are not very good when standing too long, so cook them at the very last minute before you would serve a meal. Also, you can use any other vegetable as a side.