One more chicken and pasta recipe for you. The most popular protein in my house that we eat repeatedly. Last week Nebs took me out on a date, yes, we do dates even after 18 years of being together. So, I had this Cajun chicken pasta. I knew that I could make it more tasty at home, even though the dish was quite delicious. I mean, certainly I do not want to offend anyone, but pasta and chicken dishes are kind of my thing so you can’t argue. I whipped this in no time and I got to tell you that it was really good.
It’s one of those dishes that you will cook often because it’s truly easy and so delicious.
Let’s rock n’ roll kids… Happy cooking!
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Chicken Breast
- Cajun Seasoning to taste for the chicken about 2 teaspoons, more if needed
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil for the peppers
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter for the peppers
- 3-4 different color Bell Peppers sliced into strips
- 1/4 Onion sliced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning for the sauce
- 1 tablespoon or more Parmesan Cheese
- 1 pack of Spaghetti
- 1 teaspoon dry Parsley
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried Thyme
- 1 tablespoon Cayenne
- Cajun Seasoning: Mix it all together and keep it in the glass jar or container with a lid. It should be used within 6 months.
- Boil water for the spaghetti and add about 1 tablespoon of salt. When it boils add pasta and cook according to the package. Do not overcook it. Drain and set aside.
- Cut chicken breast into bite-size pieces and season it with Cajun Seasoning. About 2 teaspoons for everything, but you may add later some more. Heat the pan or a skillet with oil and cook chicken on a medium high temperature. Turn after 2-3 minutes and keep turning until it cooks through. Internal temp for the chicken breast is 165F. Place it on the kitchen paper towel until ready to serve. Or you can do cook chicken at the same times as pasta/sauce so it all finish at the same time.
- On the other side, heat the skillet or a pan with olive oil and butter. Add sliced peppers and onion. Cook it for approximately 10-12 minutes on a medium-high heat, stirring often to prevent from burning. You want peppers to be cooked but not over-cooked, so you are looking that they are still holding a form and have a bit of crunch.
- While the peppers are cooking mix roux by combining whole milk with a tablespoon of flour. Mix until there are no more lumps. Yes, you can technically use whipped cream but milk works fine when you mix it with a bit of flour.
- Add ROUX to the peppers and stir. It will start to come together as soon as you see that the milk is heating through. If it's too thick, then just add a splash of milk and stir, otherwise, continue with the next step which is adding shaved parm cheese and 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning to give your sauce extra edge. Stir again. It will start to thicken. You may try the sauce to see if you need a bit more salt or other seasonings.
- Add cooked pasta and mix to coat, then add a bit of dried parsley and more shaved parm cheese if you wish.
- Serve it with the cajun chicken immediately.