When I tasted this so-called cake, more like bars, I had that moment of “I’ll have what she’s having”… Can I just say, this is OMG!?
I am not addicted to sweets, I am far from it, yet sometimes, I like having something sweet like this cake.
I had challenged myself to create something that you might not expect to make out of sugar cookie dough, and I believe that I accomplished that.
I absolutely love the combination of chocolate and caramel, throw in some nuts and voila.
You have an amazing skillet cake that takes almost no effort at all because you have the work cut out for you by using sugar cookie dough by Pillsbury.
Pillsbury is my family’s favorite, and personal preference. Around the holidays, I am extremely busy and I don’t have time to make cookies from scratch, so these are most definitely life-savers.
To be quite honest with you all, I rather use Pillsbury cookie dough than spend hours preparing a cake that I know will end up in disaster.
You see, I am not much of a “cake” baker, so Pillsbury has been my savior for many years; school parties, family gatherings, busy holiday season.
Also, to add that Pillsbury sugar cookies are affordable, especially for my family of five. Of course, I bought a couple of these sugar cookie logs at my local Walmart, to create this skillet cake.
All the ingredients used in this recipe are from the Walmart. I just like a store where I can go and get everything that I need in one place.
When the holiday season arrives, and it is just around a corner, this comforting, sweet, delicious and simple cake going to be the center of attention on our table, especially around Christmas time.
The hardest part is waiting until the cake cools down, just for 10-15 minutes.
I liked eating them warm with a cup of hot coffee, but I must say that they are very delicious cold or even the next day.
However, I had to wait until they are completely cooled down so I could take pictures. I kept myself busy, by making dinner, washing dishes, etc.
I can’t even tell you how hard it has been to resist going over to my studio table to take just a little bite. They are gooey, chocolaty, sweet, perfect if you love sweets.
The next day, I had a few slices leftover, and this is absolutely heavenly and irresistible cold, too.
Obviously, you can make beautiful sugar cookies and decorate them with your family over the holidays, or other delicious sweet treats. Perfect time to make memories with your kids, in the kitchen.
If you make something delicious with Pillsbury, make sure to use hashtag #ItsBakingSeason
Sugar Cookies, Chocolate Caramel Hazelnut Skillet Cake
- 2 Pillsbury Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup American Classic Caramel Bites
- 1/2 cup crushed Hazelnuts
- Cocoa Powder
- Crushed Hazelnuts
- Use well seasoned 10" Iron Skillet. Read notes*
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Open one pack of Pillsbury Sugar Cookie dough, and press firmly on the bottom of the skillet. The well-seasoned skillet should be nonstick, so no need for butter.
- Add semisweet chocolate chips, Amercian Classic Caramel Bites chopped hazelnuts. Press slightly into the bottom sugar cookie dough.
- Open the other Pillsbury Sugar Cookie dough and add a little bit at the time on top. Use spatula and fingers to evenly spread the dough. It doesn't have to be perfect because the cookie dough will slightly expand and fill the gaps.
- You can add more chocolate chips and chopped hazelnuts on top if you desire.
- Bake the skillet cake in the preheated oven for 25-27 minutes.
- Allow it to cool down for about 20 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.
- Dust with cocoa powder and add more crushed nuts.
- You can use the smaller skillet, but in that case, one sugar cookie dough log, split in half might be enough.
- You can use PB chips instead of caramel bites.
- After it bakes, skillet cake will be very soft, and when it cools down it will have the gooey texture inside, but the top will be firm.
- Since it has two layers of cookie dough, you must know that this is not your average cookie, and it does need time to bake.
- You may use other nuts.