Plum and Peach Galette
I believe every season should be celebrated with GALETTE. There are so many options, but my favorite is plum and peach OR apple and plum combination, which I will bake as soon as the Fall season comes around. I had a few blueberries and thought it would make it that much more delicious and it really did, plus it gives a little contrast.
Now, in case of the dough or a crust, you can make it yourself buttery, rustic and delicious pie crust or buy it in your grocery store. When I am short on time, I certainly get it and bake my Sunday dessert in no time, but there is nothing better than homemade. You be the judge!
Peaches and Plums are in season, so grab a few of each, and bake your heart out.
I actually baked 3, and they were gone so fast from the cutting board. I spooned over a couple of scoops of Vanilla ice-cream, and we gathered around the kitchen island, and just ate like crazy people. I know what you thinking, not really a pretty picture, but we are really comfortable around each other, of course. I love when we feel comfortable enough that eating with fingers is okay.
Hey, I hope you all like it, bake it and enjoy it with your family and friends. If you by any chance make it, please share a pic with me by tagging me on social media, especially Instagram #sandraseasycooking /or send me a pic via email.
Plum and Peach Galette
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
- 1/3 cup ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon peach or plum jam
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 3 Peaches
- 3 Plums
- 1 tbsp. Peach Extract
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- I FORGOT TO SPREAD THE JAM on the inside IN THIS PICTORIAL AND REALIZED THAT LATER.
- Rub the cold, diced butter into the flour, salt, and sugar with your fingers until it’s pretty well combined and looks like breadcrumbs. Mix in the ice cold water and bring the dough together into one lump. Wrap it in plastic wrap or large ziplock bag and store in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 400°F (200°C). Place the pastry on a floured surface, roll out into a circle about 16-by-18-inch and 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick. Spread 1 tablespoon of peach or plum jam all around. Transfer the crust in the well greased and floured circular pie pan, or line the pan with a parchment paper. Scatter a spoon of the flour and sugar over the rolled out pastry, leaving a border of about 3-4 inches all around the edge - This will help, so your galette bottom won't become soggy during baking.
- Arrange the peach and plum slices and fan around the center of the disc. I used two of each for the fan, then one plum and one peach dice into smaller cubes. Add diced peach and plum around the peach/plum fan that is in the center. Drizzle the filling with a bit of Peach Extract. Close the crust over the diced fruit and until you reach the "fruit fan". Brush the edges of the pastry with melted butter or beaten egg. Add about 1 tablespoon of cubed butter or just use chunks or butter all around fruit fan and then dust it all with sugar.
- Bake the Galette in the middle of the oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until the filling is bubbling and the crust looks nicely golden brown. Allow it to cool down for a bit and enjoy it with ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
You may add some berries like I did, blueberry, raspberry or blackberry. Instead of Peach extract, you may add vanilla extract. Peach Extract gives you a richer flavor.