We love stuffed bread. We are a kind of fanatics in that department. I mean, when you look at it realistically, it’s pizza dough, and you can fill it with anything that you like; cold cuts, sauteed meat/poultry, cheese, etc.
Who would say “NO” to that? I am certain about one thing, my family would never, ever say no to pizza rolls or Calzone, if you shall call it that way
Now, for this recipe, I used pepperoni because my kids like them, or you may even use hard salami/Genoa. If you don’t eat regular pepperoni, you can use one that is made out of the turkey.
Watch a VIDEO HERE
Pepperoni Pizza Rolls (Calzone)
The dough makes 4 large pizza rolls or 6 smaller
- 1 envelope Instant dry yeast 2 teaspoons-1/4 Oz-7g
- 1 teaspoon Sugar 4.25 g
- 1/2 cup Luke warm water 117 ml
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose flour 180 g
- 1 1/2 cups Bread Flour, plus for dusting 180 g (approx. 1/2 cup more, about 60g)
- 2 teaspoons Table Salt 11 g
- 1 cup Luke warm water 100 degrees F or 37.7 C (235ml) (add a splash more, if needed)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Olive oil 22 ml
- Pizza sauce homemade or store-bought or pasta sauce works fine
- Cheese Italian Cheese Blend or you can use Pizza Cheese Blend
- Pepperoni or any other such as mushrooms, ham, peppers, roast beef, etc.
- Parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle with the Italian herb mix
Stretch each dough ball into rectangular shape. You may use a rolling pin to make it evenly smooth and thin. The dough will rise more when it starts to bake.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of pasta sauce or pizza sauce. You can use your homemade or store bought. Works fine either way.
Add cheese as much as you want, and finally, add pepperoni or any other meat or veggies
- Fold over and make a roll, making sure that it is completely closed. Tuck in the ends to prevent cheese or sauce from leaking.
Preheat oven to 450F, 232C.
Bake the rolls in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, depending on the size. If they are smaller, it will take less time.
When they are baked, take it out of the oven and cover with clean kitchen towel. Allow them to cool down for at least 5 minutes. For the kids let it cool down for a longer time because the cheese and the sauce are extremely hot and it may burn them.
You can make about 4 large pizza rolls or 6 smaller. The regular size of the pizza dough ball should fit in the palm of your hand. A little smaller than a size of the baseball. You can determine how much cheese you will use. Some like it less and some more, same goes for the sauce and pepperoni.
SANDRA’S EASY COOKING IS AMAZON AFFILIATE. CHECK MY AMAZON STORE.