Hello my friends, and Happy #FRIDAY!!!
Today I am guest posting for Kathleen from Supper for One with this delicious fusion of Greek and Italian recipe. Kathleen is a new blogger, but very sweet and her blog is all about reviews, delicious recipes and tempting pictures. I hope you will visit her and check out the rest of my recipe, and of course, say Hi to my new friend Kathleen.
Let me tell you a few things about already well known Stromboli.
Stromboli is a big roll filled with various cheeses, Italian meats, capicola and bresaola or vegetables. The dough traditionally used is Italian bread dough and I used my homemade pizza dough, which is similar to bread dough.
Why did I crossed two countries and put into one dish, because I love chef Michael Symon’s Greek Chicken, and I tried to do it but without grilling and with chicken breasts? All I can tell ‘ya that this chicken rocked my world…I added in my bun with a drizzle of hot sauce, placed it on my salad, mixed it with my garlic-olive oil pasta and it was really good! This is one more way how to use this delicious marinated chicken.
Greek Chicken Stromboli
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. dry yeast
- 8 oz Luke warm water
- 1/2 tsp. Oil
- 1/2 Chicken Breast large (defrosted if frozen)
- 3 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. dry Mint
- 1 tsp. dry Oregano
- Lemon zest
- Lemon juice from 1/2 of the lemon
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Provolone Cheese
- Cooked Marinated Chicken
- 1/4 onion minced
- 3 mushrooms sliced and cooked
- Parmigiana Cheese
- 1 Tbs. Olive oil
- 2 Garlic minced
- 1/2 stalk Rosemary
- In a large bowl put everything together for the pizza dough, mix and pour the water slowly while mixing it with a wooden spoon (or similar).
- Knead it with your hands for minutes until you form a ball. Add oil and spread it all over the dough.
- Cover and let it rise in a room temperature for 30-45 minutes.
- In a large Ziploc bag or a bowl put all the ingredients for the chicken. Add chicken in the marinade and let the chicken marinade for 20 minutes.
- Take it out of the bag or bowl and cook/ fry on just a bit of oil until done.
- You might want to add onions and mushrooms with the chicken once it's almost done the cooking.
- Let the chicken and mushrooms rest for the next 10 minutes on the plate while you prepare the dough.
- Once the chicken is rested slice in long stripes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 Fahrenheit (190 C)
- Dust work surface with a bit of flour and place the dough on.
- Roll into large, thin dough sheet-just like you would pizza dough, but thinner (dough will rise while baking)
- Put Provolone cheese slices, chicken, mushrooms and onions, and roll.
- Once its rolled, saute olive oil, garlic, and rosemary for few second just to release the aroma and oil get flavored.
- Brush the roll with the oil and drop evenly rosemary and garlic on top.
- Sprinkle with grounded Parmigiana cheese.
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once it’s done let the Stromboli rest for 10 minutes before slicing it. Serve it with steamed asparagus and Greek Salad (tomatoes, olives, arugula and dressing is same as a marinade)
- 10. You can put it the fridge for up to 3 days-reheat before eating.
You can use pre-made pizza dough and save yourself a time. You can fill the Stromboli with any filling that you desire, even Nutella. You do not have to make one big stromboli, you make made few smaller ones especially if you have more people. This amount of dough can make up to 3 smaller strombolis.