One of my favorite cakes are ones that are infused with lemons, especially this tasty Lemon Poppy Seed bread.
I still love creamy chocolate cakes, ice-cream cakes and of course with loads of nuts, but there is something so tempting and delicious once you take a bite of lemon cake. Goodness, you can smell it almost in an instant.
Probably the easiest cake is lemon poppy seed cake or a bread. For me, this is more like a cake than a bread. However, that is just my opinion!
My kids love this bread for breakfast with a cup of warm milk just before school, but me, I love it with my afternoon cup of warm tea.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Canola oil, you can use unsalted butter instead
- 1/2 cup Sugar (151g)
- ¼ cup lemon juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 cup, 8 oz Buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon plain Yogurt, you can use lemon yogurt/Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon Poppy Seeds
- Lemon Glaze:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and coat a loaf pan with oil or unsalted butter. You can line the baking pan with the parchment paper to prevent the bread from sticking as well.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; Set aside.
- In the other bowl of an electric mixer combine oil, sugar, lemon juice and zest, eggs, yogurt, and buttermilk. Beat until well blended. Add flour mixture and poppy seeds, then mix until just combined. Pour into prepared oiled pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- While the bread bakes, combine sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Heat on low until sugar is melted, then brush over warm bread while it’s still in the pan.
- Transfer pan to a cooling rack and let rest for one hour. Line the rack with aluminum foil, then run a small sharp knife around the edge of the pan and gently remove the loaf. Place on prepared rack rounded side up and let cool completely
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon (about ¼ cup)
- Place confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl or liquid measuring cup;
- Stir in lemon juice (glaze should be thick, yet pourable).
- Add more sugar or lemon juice, if needed, to achieve the consistency that you like.
- Pour over the cake or this lemon poppy seeds bread but it's optional