All-American classic pie is filled with delicious apple slices, tossed with sugar, cinnamon and fragrant spices for a touch of sweetness in every bite.
if you make it make sure to tag me on Instagram @ sandraseasycooking using hashtag #sandraseasycooking or Twitter @ secooking #secooking
Old-fashioned Apple Pie
- 2 1 ⁄2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbs. Sugar
- 1 cup unsalted Butter chilled
- 1/4 cup 60 ml ICE water
- 1 pound apples peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbs. Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Allspice
- 1 ⁄2 tsp. ground Cloves
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Unsalted Butter
- 1 1 ⁄2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- In a large bowl, place the all-purpose flour, salt, and sugar and with a fork mix until combined. Add butter, stir, then pour water slowly and mix until you form a bowl. Slightly work on the dough until it is completely formed.
- Dust the work surface with flour and put the dough on the flour.
- With your hands, knead the dough. The dough is ready once it is held in one place (if you pinch it, the dough will still hold the shape).
Divide the dough in half and flatten each half into disks, and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 45 minutes.
- Take the dough from the fridge and one part put on an already floured work area.
- Fold the dough in half and transfer to a 9 inch circled pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place it back in the fridge.
- Then take the other part of the dough and roll it out to about 12 inches.
- Best if you place it on the parchment paper and then back to the fridge until ready to be used.
APPLE PIE PREP:
- Peel all the apples and cut into 1/2 in thick slices.
- In a large bowl, put sliced apples and all other ingredients.
- Mix with your hands to combine everything together, cover and let it sit at the room temperature for next 30 minutes or more. This means that the juices will come down and you can now drain the apples and separate juice from the apple mixture after 30 minutes.
- Put the juice in a microwave safe dish/or in the saucepan and heat for 3 minutes in the microwave or on a low heat in a saucepan for maybe 10 minutes until the juice reduces and becomes a thick sauce.
- Meanwhile, take the rolled dough out of the fridge to get a bit warm and it will be easier to work with warmer dough.
- Now pour the thick sauce over the apples and stir.
- Fill the dough with apples, pack them nicely and keep from the edges.
- Cover with 12 inches rolled dough and with a finger shape the dough edges to get it sealed bit also to make it more appealing.
- Cut the middle of the pie one line or 4 all around to let the steam out while baking.
- Preheat the oven to 375F and bake the pie for about 50 to 60 minutes or until the pie is golden brown.
- To prevent excessive browning join 2-inch wide strips of foil together lengthwise to encircle pie. Bend edges of foil loosely over pie crust edge.
- Pie may be served warm or cool after 2 hours and serve with ice-cream.
You may add cranberries, it gives you wonderful warm aroma especially during holiday season.