Citrus Kale Salad
Perfect, healthy, nutty and balanced Citrus Kale salad. A Beautiful marriage of ingredients that just brings harmony, happiness, and calmness to you and your body.
Don’t you simply love a good salad? I adore salads, and the other day, I was longing for kale salad. It’s hard to believe, I know, but I do have these cravings for madly healthy food, as well.
Now, don’t be afraid adding fruit to your salad, especially greens like kale because it brings down the dull taste of kale. Personally, for me, kale tastes like grass, nothing extraordinary without a doubt, but when you add fruit to raw kale that burst of sweetness comes in and makes kale taste delightful. As you can see the salad looks spectacular and wonderful, and it truly tastes superb.
Basically, everything that you see on this salad is fresh and healthy. Now you can add a mix of citrus fruit such as grapefruit, mandarins, or different types of oranges, although on that point it has a nice amount of freshly squeezed lemon juice as well.
This type of salad would bring a smile on your face even on the most depressing day, and light up it up significantly more. I am telling you, it is a powerhouse and simply perfect to keep that New Year resolution to eat healthier. Wink*Wink*… I know, we all do make those resolutions, but the reality is that if we eat at least a couple of times a week something like this, I am certain that our body would thank us for sure.
If you try it, please tag me on Instagram @ sandraseasycooking with hashtag #sandraseasycooking
Two amazing salads that you might like:
CITRUS KALE SALAD
- 6 cups fresh organic Kale it will go down to about 2 cups after massaging
- 2 Oranges peeled and sliced (mandarines, or other similar)
- 1/2 cup Almonds sliced
- 1/2 cup Kalamata Olives
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil Extra virgin, organic
- Juice from 1/2 Lemon add more if you like it really sour
- Juice from 1/2 Orange
- Pinch of Himalayan Pink Salt add more to taste later
- Pinch of Ground Black Pepper
- Pinch of Sumac
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Zest
- 1 tbsp. Orange Zest
- Zest or lemon or orange
- After washing thoroughly, add the kale to a mixing bowl, I like using scissors to chop it in the smaller pieces, but you may use a knife and chop into bite-size pieces on a large cutting board before adding it to the bowl.
- Mix together ingredients for dressing, whisk to combine it well.
- Pour lemon dressing over it, and massage kale by squeezing it for about five minutes, or until leaves are very tender. Taste and see if you need more salt.
- Peel oranges (or other citrus fruit) and slice however you wish, add to the salad and lightly toss.
- Plate it on the large platter if you wish, and add sliced olives and sliced almonds.
- Garnish with Za'atar, Sumac, and any leftover lemon or orange zest.
I kept salad interesting by separating orange into sections and adding one whole orange in the salad, then I sliced the other very thinly, peeled a few slices and added as a different pattern and added unpeeled on the side. It just looks very pretty in my opinion. If you don't have sumac or Za'atar, do not panic... It is alright! It adds a nice flavor and aroma, but if you don't have it tastes delicious even without it.