Beef and Vegetable Soup
How is your January going? Mine started well… mostly working out and detoxing. Now, since 7 days detox is over, I am still trying to eat healthier and exercise daily, that mean less bread, pasta and sweets as well as meat, and more veggies and fruits. This soup is really comforting and delicious. I used really good quality beef, and as you can see loads of veggies so it’s not bad for ya at all. You can totally make this meatless and add chopped kale, swiss chard or spinach and make ultimate vegetable soup or stew. Of course, cooking will be much faster too.
Be creative and happy cooking, friends!
Beef and Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/2 Onion
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Celery stalk
- 1/2 lb Beef cubed for stews
- 1 cup baby Carrots
- 1/2 pound fresh French Green Beans or any on hand frozen works fine as well
- 4 cups Water add more if needed
- 1 Beef Boullion Cube
- 1 teaspoon dried Parsley
- 2 dried Bay leaves
- 2 Large Potatoes peeled and cubed or 3 smaller
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tomato paste
- Heat a large pot with 2 tbsp of Olive oil and add chopped onion, saute for a couple of minutes on medium-high temperature, just when they start to sweat, add minced garlic and chopped celery. Stir and allow it to saute for a minute or two.
- Add beef for stews (they are usually in cubes, but you may cube it yourself, too). Stir until and sear all the sides of the beef, 3-4 minutes.
- Add baby Carrots and French Green Beans (if the beans are frozen they will need less time to cook), stir all together and pour in water. You may add more water if needed as the liquid evaporate as it cooks.
Add Boullion Cube, Parsley and Bay leaf then stir, cover with a fitted lid and allow it boil. When it boils, turn the heat on low and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
- Peel and cube the potatoes, and drop them in the pot, then season with salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat back on medium temperature and cook until the potatoes are completely cooked, about additional 15 minutes.
- The last step is to add tomato sauce and tomato paste. Stir, let it boil and cook for additional 5 minutes. Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Serve hot with cornbread and jalapenos, olives or similar.
You may use chicken instead and frozen green beans. If you using both the cooking time will decrease, since chicken does not need as much time as beef. Beef is always better when it cooks more on lower temperature until it starts to fall apart.
Skillet Gluten FREE Cornbread
- 2 cups Cornmeal
- 1 cup Gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Bakin Soda
- 3 eggs
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil + for greasing a skillet
Mix it all together, grease a skillet very well and bake in the preheated oven (400F) for 35 minutes or until it is completely done
You can check out my other cornbread recipe HERE with a video