Triple Berry Galette Recipe
The Galette is a term used in French cuisine to designate various types of flat round, sometimes flaky, crusty cakes. The beauty of galette is that you can fill it with all kinds of fillings, sweet or savory. I love them all! It’s one of those desserts or pastries that are incredibly tempting and very pretty.
If your galette dough is too thick, the crust will be gummy and chewy, rather than flaky. It does not have to be perfect. Actually, I like it very much when it comes out rustic and in-prefect, but still looks like a taste of home, and beautiful.
What is your favorite galette?
I will have in the next few months more galette recipes, again sweet and savory. This one is sweet, and have that sour and tart taste due to the berries and a gentle squeeze of the lime. If you love that exact taste with a dollop of butter pecan ice cream or vanilla, then you will love this guilty pleasure galette!!!
Now let’s get to this delicious, summer delight, berrilicious recipe.
Triple Berry Galette
1 Pie Crust or make your own.
Homemade Galette Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
- 1/3 cup ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon Strawberry or Raspberry Jam
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 1 cup Blackberries
- 5-6 Strawberries (or 1 cup raspberries or both)
- 1/2 Lime
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- You MAY USE Store bought Crust. Just defrost overnight in the fridge, or 30 minutes on the countertop before using it.
- Rub the cold, diced butter into the flour, salt, and sugar with your fingers until it’s pretty well combined and looks like breadcrumbs. Mix in the ice cold water and bring the dough together into one lump. Wrap it in plastic wrap or large ziplock bag and store in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 400°F (200°C). Place the pastry on a floured surface, roll out into a circle about 16-by-18-inch and 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick. Spread 1 tablespoon of peach or plum jam all around. Transfer the crust in the well greased and floured circular pie pan, or line the pan with a parchment paper. Spread evenly Strawberry or Raspberry jam. Scatter a spoon of the flour and sugar over the rolled out pastry, leaving a border of about 3-4 inches all around the edge – This will help, so your galette bottom won’t become soggy during baking and the game will give a nice flavor, and sweetness.
- Wash and pat dry berries with kitchen paper towel, very gently. Place it in the middle of the disk and over the all-purpose flour and sugar combo. Close the crust over the fruit. Brush the edges of the pastry with melted butter or beaten egg. Add about 1 tablespoon of cubed butter or just use chunks or butter all around the berries, squeeze half of the lime on top over the berries and then dust it all with granulated sugar or any sweetener that you use.
- Bake the Galette in the middle of the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the crust looks nicely golden brown. Allow it to cool down for a bit and enjoy it with ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.