Salads, salads, and more salads… Summer is coming shortly, so I thought to share one my absolute favorite summer salads. This salad appeared on my blog many times, but always as a side. I’ve never blogged about it. I think it deserves its own, individual blog-post.
I will be quite honest with you; since working with fresh produce in farmers market very long time ago, nothing would bring me greater joy than seasonal produce. I mean, I was there, first to try everything before anyone ever did, and those beaten fruits and vegetables ended up in my kitchen. That’s why I always say, there is no ugly produce. We can use pretty much everything, even if it is a little beaten on the side.
I tried avocado a couple of years back and fell in love, I talked about it in a few posts before, but everything else I have been eating forever, and I must add it’s one amazingly delicious and refreshing salad. My daughter and I, we both place an enormous bowl of this salad in front of us and with crunchy bread, we complete it up in a matter of minutes. Yeah, that’s how much we love it.
Usually, I serve it when we grill, and family and friends gather. It goes perfectly with BBQ, trust me on that one. With 20 plus years in my sleeve since I started eating and making this salad, I suppose it’s safe to say that you will not like it, but love this one.
- 1/2 English Cucumber (you can use the whole cucumber)
- 2 Tomatoes (Brandywine tomatoes)
- 1/4 Red Onion (if it’s smaller 1/2 onion)
- 2 Scallions
- 1 Avocado
- 2-3 Italian (flat-leaf) Parsley, roughly chopped
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Lemon, ripe
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Chop and slice all the ingredients and season with a pinch of salt.
- Mix, Lemon dressing, and season according to your taste.
- Drizzle lemon dressing over the salad, and lightly toss. -Read the notes
! If you are bringing a salad to work-lunch, do not add dressing, pack it in the little jar or container. I would suggest getting avocado just a tad harder if you are not planning to eat it right away.