Easy Eggplant Parmesan
As a lover of Italian food, from casseroles, pasta, fried food to gelato, I wanted to create an exceptionally familiar dish, but somewhat different. Something that we could pick up and deplete a pizza… Well, almost like a pizza. It could be served over a plate of mixed greens, as I did or with pasta, meat, fish, and so on.
I am the biggest fan of eggplants. I have been my entire life. I know it doesn’t even remotely look like mushrooms, however, by one means or another when I saute eggplant with onions and top it with cream it tastes precisely like mushrooms to me. Perhaps, my taste buds are long gone “cuckoo” (however you spell that… lol), but that’s what I taste.
This recipe not only it’s easy but so good. Even my children loved it. My youngest one, who is by the way 9, truly despises eggplants, not that he tasted and they were terrible, but rather he just would not even attempt to try it. Since this looked very appetizing to him, he said: “oh, that looks so good, is it chicken?”
I was like, call it whatever you want buddy, as long as you eat it, then he did. He was actually surprised to find out that it was eggplant. Win-win for me!
Alright, let’s get down to business.
Easy Eggplant Parmesan
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 Large Eggs,
- 1 1/2 cup Italian Breadcrumbs
- Oil/or butter, to grease baking pan
- Marinara Sauce
- Parmesan Cheese
- Italian Blend Cheese or Mozzarella, Shredded
- Peel eggplant and slice it into half inch thick slices.
- Add a pinch of salt on each slice. After 5-10 minutes, place it on the paper towel and pat dry. This way you will take out any moisture left in the eggplant.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
- Take two containers/mixing bowl. In one crack two eggs, add a pinch of salt and mix it really well. In the other add Italian breadcrumbs.
- Dip each slice into an egg wash, then in the breadcrumbs. Try to coat eggplant on all sides. Place it in a greased baking pan. You can also use nonstick alum foil, parchment paper or baking mat so the greasing will not be necessary.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes OR until the eggplant is golden brown, and when you pick the slice up it’s lighter.
- Take it out of the oven, and add about a tablespoon or so of Marinara sauce on each slice, and sprinkle cheeses or use fresh cheese, such as mozzarella.
- Place it back in the oven and bake until the cheese is completely melted about 5-7 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and enjoy it!
- If you are sensitive to gluten, please use gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Use cheese what you like the most or have. The best one so far that I’ve tried it with is Italian Blend of cheeses (It has 5 different kinds of cheese), also Pizza cheese (blend of cheeses) or Mozzarella on its own is great with this recipe.
- If your cheese blend does not contain Parmesan, just add it together and sprinkle with mozzarella.