Hello everybody and happy March! Spring is closer and closer...and yet again we gonna have snow day! Not that it will be snow like up north but hey snow is snow, right?! So what better way to welcome cold day than bowl of hot soup and this comforting baked savory pie.
Shepherd's Pie or Cottage Pie has very interesting history, and I never actually did any research on it how it was born until today!
This "International" dish is cooked in many countries and of course it is loved here in the USA. What's not to love, it's meat and 'tatoes pie?!
Let me just say that my kids love, love Shepherd's Pie, and I don't make it often enough, but when I do, whole baking dish is spotlessly clean!
I don't add anything out of the ordinary, except maybe cheese...I mean, let's get it real, everything tastes better with cheese -at least in my eyes!:)
Whatever you are calling this pie in your country you have to agree with me that it is one delicious dish! I hope you make it soon!
Shepherd's Pie (Cottage Pie)
serves 4-5 | Total Time: 50 minutes
prep time:10 min. | cook time: 40 min.
- 2 Lb (900g-1kg) Potatoes, peeled, quartered and boiled w/ 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbs. Butter + 1 Cup of Low fat Milk + salt to taste
- 1 Tbs. Oil (Canola, Corn or Vegetable)
- 1 Lb. (450g) Ground Beef, 90% lean 10% fat (or any on hand)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup Peas
- 1 cup Corn
- 1 Carrot, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup Parsley, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups Shredded Cheese Mix -blend
- After potatoes boiled and they are tender with the masher mash, and add butter, milk and salt to taste. Mash until smooth then sprinkle bit of Parsley optional*, cover and set aside.
- In a skillet add oil, preheat then add ground beef, stir and let it cook for minute or two, then add onion and peas. Stir, and don't let it burn.
- Add other ingredients, corn, carrot, garlic and remaining parsley, season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir and cook on medium high until meat is completely cooked through and no longer pink.
- Preheat oven on 375F(190C) and in the baking dish/deeper, add meat and veggies first, then spread equally mashed potatoes. Add Cheese on top, more or less its up to you.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the Cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Serve it with fresh salad such as pico de gallo, green salad or similar.
- You may use other meat or mix of different meat such as beef and pork, chicken and pork, ground lamb etc.
- Adding garlic and/or parsley in the mashed potatoes gives you so much flavor.
- For less guilty mashed potatoes you can use Buttermilk or Yogurt instead of butter and minced or powdered garlic to enhance the flavor.
I wish you all an amazing week ahead!
Sandra's Easy Cooking by sandraseasycooking.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. Based on a work at sandraseasycooking.com. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at firstname.lastname@example.org.