Officially my first post of the year, and I wanted to start this year with something fresh, healthy and delicious. I am still here working hard on the blog, and updating some old posts, recipes and pictures...a lot of work but it is worth it.
One exciting news is that I won recipe competition on the gourmandize.com...something that I did not expect at all as I was doing my happy dance I think this year have a good start! :)
Lentils, either you love them or hate them...and I have been hater for a longest time. I don't know, something about the texture that is not quite clicking with me so I had to come up with a recipe to incorporate them into my diet. So this is it! I actually like it very much when it's mixed with raw vegetables. I used pineapple to balance the flavor, and as much as I love honey I didn't wanted to add it into the dressing, so pineapple is a great compliment. Also I tried with mango and apple and it was also fantastic.
I am happy to say that my kids love Lentil stew, and soup. Actually for somebody that do not like lentils, they find place on our table quite often. YUP, I am little bit ashamed of myself- even my kids make fun of me because if it.
While they were dipping today bread into lentil stew, I was sitting and eating this salad. It's vibrant and healthy, plus finally I found a way to eat these gems and I hope you will too. What is your favorite way to make/eat lentils?
Salad with Lentils
Serves 2-3 Total Time: 30 minutes
prep time: 15 min. cook time: 20 min.
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooked Lentils
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Cucumber
- 1/2 Firmer avocado
- 1/2 cup cubed Pineapple or Mango
- 1/4 Red Onion
- 2 Tbs. Cilantro, chopped (use flat leaf parsley as alternative)
- 2 Tbs. Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbs. Olive Oil
- Sea Salt to taste *if needed
- 1 Tbs Feta Cheese, per person (optional)
- Wash the lentils and place them in the pot, season with salt and put garlic clove to cook along with lentils. Turn the heat on high until boiling point, slightly cover and simmer/turn heat on low and cook for 20 minutes. Add water if needed until they are completely cooked. (Lentils need to be tender on the bite but still firm)
- Meanwhile, cut all the vegetables as well as pineapple or mango into smaller cubes. Chop the cilantro or parsley.
- whisk together Lemon Juice, Olive oil, chopped cilantro or parsley and season with pinch of freshly grind sea salt.
- Once the lentils are done, drain them and wash in the colander under cold water. Let them cool down.
- Gently mix lentils with other ingredients, drizzle over dressing and again stir, more like fold just to get everything coded. Crumble on top Feta Cheese if desired and serve immediately as a side dish or salad.
- If you don't like or do not want to add pineapple or mango, an apple is a great substitute. It brings the sweetness to the salad, and balance.
- Depending on the age of the legume or kind, cooking time should be adjusted by the taste test. Mine cooked for 20 minutes but it may take up to 30.
- If you do not like or have Feta Cheese, you may use Goat, Queso Fresco or perhaps crumbled blue cheese.
Sandra's Easy Cooking by sandraseasycooking.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. Based on a work at sandraseasycooking.com. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at email@example.com.