There is nothing better than making fresh school lunch for your kids. I haven't posted in a while lunch boxes because my kids wanted to try eating cafeteria food again. In one week they would eat like twice in school, only if there is something that actually looked appealing or something that they like. I am coming to school for good 5 months few times a week for volunteering as well to enjoy lunch with my kids, and I really feel sorry and sad 'cause lunches are so poor even though they do have fresh fruits, veggies and cooked meals and dessert with it. However...however I have a problem with those cooked meals. They either look like a piece of wood, or plain disgusting. When I went last time, my son who is in 1st grade now had pizza. My kids going in pretty good school, in a great area but one look at that pizza and you would know what I mean. Dough was GRAY, not risen and taste is like biting into gummy bears. Now I love chewy dough but that was ..only God knows what it was, anything but so called pizza! So from now on they are not allowed to eat cafeteria food, only milk and perhaps bag of popcorn they can purchase. I am bad ass mama :D Seriously! I mean school board should be ashamed on what they are feeding kids with. I know the budget is tight but still there are so many working parents with limited time to cook or prepare school lunches, or families on reduced lunches that they don't have a choice, still our kids should be fed properly in school. So if you do have time prepare school lunches because even turkey sandwich is better than cafeteria food.
Today for you I have simple lunch that could be prepared night before, placed in the fridge and just put it together in the morning. How to make my favorite sushi roll Click HERE. You can add anything that you would like, this is what I had at the moment so I added.
Lunch Box: Sushi Roll with Fruits and Vegetables
Serves 1-2 | Total time: 20 minutes
Prep time:15 min.
- 1 cup short grain Sushi Rice, cooked
- 1 sheet Seaweed/Nori
- 1/4 Avocado
- 1/2 cup Crab meat
- 1/4 Cucumber /Japanese or English can be sub.
- Soy sauce light for dipping
Other items for lunch box:
- Mixed baby greens + dressing if you wish
- Grape tomatoes
- Vanilla Yogurt w/ strawberries & cereals
I think that this is well balanced meal. I have so many more ideas so check School and Work Lunch ideas
- As far as ingredients go, like I said you can use what your kids like, you can use what you have. You can use more or less depending how big/small your roll is. Mine is pretty large.
- Once my rolls were done, I took French onion out and rolled only the top of the roll on the Fried French Onions. Totally optional but they love it so you should make how your kids like it. Please include your kids in planning lunches because most likely they will not only brag about lunch that they helped plan and prepare, but they will surly eat it all.
- If you would like similar but Korean style Sushi Roll, called Kimbap click here to see how
Wishing you wonderful week! Stay warm my friends!
Sandra's Easy Cooking by sandraseasycooking.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. Based on a work at sandraseasycooking.com. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at email@example.com.