There are days when you not only crave comfort food, but you need it in your system to keep going through the day. I had not only a day, but whole week of feeling blue that I needed constant comfort. Even though I was not as active on blogosphere or social media, I was cooking up a storm in my kitchen. Cooking is my therapy as well as photography, so I have full fridge of leftovers and bunch of recipes to share with you all soon!
If you follow my blog for a long time you might already know that I really love Thai cuisine. Between Red Curry and Green, I think I favor Chicken Red curry just a bit more but you are more than welcome to check my recipe for Chicken Green Curry .
Also you might like Thai Chicken Noodles Stir Fry or Chicken with lettuce
The taste of Chicken red curry has an amazing balance in flavor. It's a perfect harmony in which each ingredient just ties perfectly together into one incredible bite. You don't have to be an expert to cook Thai food, and all you need to do is cook with love...that love will comes through when you finish it. It is truly labor of love dish, so try to follow my simple instructions, and enjoy cooking. You don not necessarily have to use coconut oil or lemongrass, or perhaps brown sugar but of course you must add curry paste, and coconut milk because that is real necessity for this dish.
What I also love the most is to play with my food, so I serve it weee bit differently for the sake of photography. It's a fun and interesting approach to food photography, plus I totally eat it out of the coconut :)
Thai Chicken Red Curry
Serves 4-5 Total Time: 30 minutes
prep time: 15 minute
cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 Tbs. Coconut cooking Oil
- 1/4 Onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Lb. Boneless chicken, cubed
- 5 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 stalk Lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste
- 1/2 can Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or water
- 1 tsp. Brown Sugar (light)
- 2 tsp. Fish Sauce
- 2 Tbs. Cilantro or Thai Basil
- Generous squeeze from 1/2 Lime
- Garnish w/scallions or chives
- Serve w/ Cooked Rice- I used Jasmine rice
- Preheat oil in saucepan or a wok. Add onion and minced garlic, saute for minute or two until oil becomes infused by both, do not burn and keep temp on medium high. Cut chicken into cubes, bite size pieces and stir fry it until it's no longer pink/raw for about 4-5 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms and lemongrass, stir.
- Add Red Curry paste, stir and let all the chicken get curry paste coding. Add Coconut milk and chicken stock, stir then add fish sauce and sugar to balance it all. Cook for 10 minutes on low heat and until the curry becomes thick.
- Squeeze lime juice, and add chopped Cilantro or Thai basil stir then taste and see if you need more seasoning.
- Serve it over cooked Jasmine Rice, or any other rice if desired.
- Oil is required for nearly all Thai dishes. Thai cooks commonly use coconut or palm oil which have a low-smoke rate and do not break down quickly, but you can use any on your hand.
- You can use Beef, Turkey, or Pork instead of the Chicken
- Thai Kitchen is, I believe one of the most popular products. It's available in all grocery stores, if you don't have the time to make your own, pick up a jar. Love their products. (I was not paid by Thai Kitchen, this is my own recommendation.)
- If you are allergic on any fishy products: Instead of the Fish sauce you can use mix of Hoisin Sauce with splash of your favorite Soy sauce to taste. OR Vegetarian Fish Sauce ( I didn't tried the recipe but click on the link to check it out if you are vegetarian)
I wish you wonderful weekend!
Sandra's Easy Cooking by sandraseasycooking.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. Based on a work at sandraseasycooking.com. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at firstname.lastname@example.org.