Lunch Box: Battered baked Fish Sandwich
I am back with new Lunch box idea! 😀 I will keep you healthy and happy so your lunch box is never boring and always full of color, deliciousness and nutrition. You and your children will be very pleased with the combinations that I am using here, however you can always switch some things, mix and match to your personal preferences or use what you have in your fridge.
Lunches that I am presenting are just an idea-for example when I am going through the magazine or food blog sometimes new idea comes on my mind just by seeing food that somebody else prepared…it might be similar but most of the time never the same.
I used fish this time, but you can easily use chicken or even hot dogs to batter and bake for your lunch box. I always say use your imagination, taste, combine what you like, add your own zest and everything will come together.
Fish Batter Recipe
- 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour + 1 Tbs. for the fish
- 1/3 Cup Corn Meal Flour + 1 Tbs. for the fish
- 1/8 tsp. Baking powder
- Few Pinches of salt or to taste
- 1/3 Cup of Milk- add bit more if the batter is too thick (water or buttermilk with also be OK for using in the batter)
- 1 Tbs. Oil
*Mix all together until smooth
- 6 smaller pieces of Fish fillets – I used Tilapia fish fillets
*if frozen-defrost it
*if the fish fillets are too large cut the in the equal pieces-usually in half
- Pat dry the fish and mix 1 Tablespoons of all purpose flour and 1 Tablespoon Corn Meal Flour. Put the fish fillets on the flour plate mixture & code both side.
- In the meanwhile line the baking pan with the parchment paper and preheat the oven.
- Put each piece individually in the fish batter and turn few times so it can get coded on both side. Shake a bit excess batter and put on the baking pan lined with parchment paper. Once you batter all the fish fillets, place it the baking pan with the fillets in the freezer for up to 15 minutes so the batter can stay in one place and it will be easier to bake.
- Preheat the oven on 375 degrees F (190C)
- Bake until golden brown(about 20 min.) and until the fork goes through the fish smoothly. Other option is to fry the fish fillets if you like that better.
- Once baked take it out of the oven and place each baked fillet on the cookie rack to cool down for few minutes before eating, and if any leftover you can let it cool down completely and place in the fridge(2days) or freezer(10days) for later.
This lunch is with:
- Baked Fish Fillets Sandwiches /Italian Sesame seeds bread, smoked provolone cheese and Ketchup.
- Boiled/cooked through peas and carrots and then sauteed in garlic-oil.
- Steamed rice garnished with sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds.
- Watermelon and Banana for fruits.
- Orange fat free Jell-o for dessert.
- Water for beverage.
P.S. For more lunch box ideas CLICK HERE