Lemon Poppy-Seed Bread
Probably the most easiest cake is lemon poppy seed cake or a bread–for me this is more like a cake than a bread…but that’s just my opinion! 🙂
My kids love this bread for breakfast with a cup of warm milk just before the school–but me-I love it with my afternoon cup of warm tea.
- Cooking spray
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Canola oil(you can use unsalted butter instead)
- 2/3 cup Sugar (151g)
- ¼ cup lemon juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2-3 Eggs
- 1 cup Buttermilk (8oz)-preferably fat free or low fat/+ milk or water if needed
- 1 Tbs. plain Yogurt (½oz) (/you can use lemon yogurt/Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbs. Poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and coat a loaf pan with cooking spray-but you can line the baking pan with the parchment paper to prevent bread from sticking.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine: flour, baking powder and salt; Set aside.
- In the other bowl of an electric mixer combine: oil, sugar, lemon juice and zest, eggs, yogurt and buttermilk. Beat until well blended. Add flour mixture and poppy seeds, then mix until just combined (Add extra water or milk if the texture is too dry(maybe just a splash). Pour into prepared oiled pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- While the bread bakes, combine sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Heat on low until sugar is melted, then brush over warm bread while it’s still in the pan.
- Transfer pan to a cooling rack and let rest for one hour. Line the rack with aluminum foil, then run a small sharp knife around the edge of the pan and gently remove the loaf. Place on prepared rack rounded side up and let cool completely
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon (about ¼ cup)
- Place confectioners’ sugar in a medium bowl or liquid measuring cup;
- Stir in lemon juice (glaze should be thick, yet pourable).
- Add more sugar or lemon juice, if needed, to achieve consistency that you like.
- Pour over the cake or this lemon poppy seeds bread but it’s optional.
Sandra’s Easy Cooking by sandraseasycooking.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. Based on a work at sandraseasycooking.com. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at email@example.com.