I still want to share my recipe that I was experimenting a little bit. Instead of the chicken I thought that shrimps will be really tasty alternative. I never had coconut soup, and I have no idea why, because I love anything with coconuts.
This soup is also very healthy..first of all coconuts are good for you, Shiitake mushrooms are very beneficial for your health too. I think fresh Shiitake will give 10 times better flavor, but dry ones were alright (just soak it). Of course all other ingredients work very well together and I don't have to tell you about lemon, ginger and bit of spicy crushed peppers to boost up your system/metabolism. I hope you like this recipe, as much as I did!
- 1 can Coconut milk
- 3 cups shrimp stock or 1pk. shrimp seasoning/alternative chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh lemongrass, tough outer leaves removed
- 2 Tbs. peeled and thinly sliced fresh ginger
- 7-8 dry Shiitake mushrooms, previously soaked in water(overnight)
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Lb. medium fresh shrimp, peeled
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Steamed brown rice/or jasmine rice
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Spring onion.
- In a large pot, combine the stock, already soaked mushrooms (or use fresh), lemongrass, and grated ginger.
- Bring to a boil and than reduce the heat and simmer for about 7-10 minutes. Add the shrimps, coconut milk, and cilantro; simmer until the shrimps are cooked, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Season, to taste, with salt and additional fish sauce.
- You can remove ginger slices, and lemongrass before serving. I grated mine but some people like to use slices or cut it in the cubes.
- You can boil mushrooms for 20 minutes in a separate pot if you like them more tender.
- You can use Fresh Shiitake Mushrooms and skip the part of soaking dry ones.
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups water
- Few Pinches of salt
- Wash the rice before putting it In the pot, combine the rice, salt and water and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the water is absorbed about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let sit covered for 5-10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice before serving.
All the images and recipes are ©2011 Sandra's Easy Cooking. All Rights Reserved.
You cannot copy, or republish without permission of the author.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.