On Sunday's I usually prepare something roasted in the oven..it is kind of special meal because we are all together for lunch. However today my family requested stew from peas which was really refreshing to me because they often wish for meat, and mashed potatoes!
Lunch is almost done cooking, and here is my stew recipe:
Simple Peas Stew
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 6 oz chicken breast, cubed(or beef)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- handful of baby carrots, slice or keep it whole
- 1 celery stick, wash and finally chop
- 2 cups of frozen peas
- 1 large potato, cubed
- fresh parsley
- 2 cups veggie broth/chicken or beef broth will be fine too
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Tbs. black ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Pinch of chilly powder
- Water as needed
- 1 teaspoon Tomato puree
- 1/2 cup Tomato sauce
- In a large pot saute grated onion in a olive oil, add cubed meat, then carrots and celery. Stir for 4-5 minutes on medium high temp.
- Add peas and potatoes, and stir
- Pour at first splash of beef stock and simmer until meat lose red/bloody color
- Season it with salt to taste, pepper, sweet paprika and chili powder-pour the rest of the broth; Stir.
- Let it cook on a med. high temperature adding water as needed
- When the potatoes are done (soft when you press with a fork) start preparing the roux.
- My roux contain tomato puree, tomato sauce and flour
- in a bowl put 1 Tbs. flour
- add 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- add 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- add splash of water and mix
- roux will need to be smooth
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the rue, mixing constantly and adding just a little bit at the time.
- If your stew is thick enough you do not have to necessarily use all the rue in the stew but if it gets too thick just add bit more water or broth, bring it to boil stir and serve.
I hope you will enjoy!!!