In this blogging world everybody is doing something inspired by Mardi Gras. In all means my dessert is not like many of yours such as King cakes, colorful cupcakes and wonderful sweet or savory dishes.
I wanted to do something with food colors and sugar for few weeks now, and than Mardi Gras idea kicked in.
So today I made Phyllo dough cups with sweet potatoes filling and colorful sugar decorations.
All you need:
for 6 cups
- 4-5 sheets of Phyllo dough
- 1 can of sweet potatoes OR/
- I baked 4 sweet potatoes, med. size
- until soft; take out insides, mash and mix in about
- 2 teaspoons of Stevia/Or Splenta
- 2 Tbs of light Maple syrup
- Preheat the oven on 375F
- Grease the cupcake pan
- Cut phyllo dough into big squares,
- Place them in the cupcake pan, and
- put about 2 teaspoons of sweet potato mixture
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
You can lightly cover the top of the phyllo with aluminium foil, to prevent burning
For sugar decoration
- 4 different kind of food coloring
- 3 Tbs. of sugar for each time
- As you can see I am not using any kind of liquid for my sugar decoration, so you have to be extra careful not to burn it.
- In a sauce pan put sugar and color.
- Mix with the fork, when the sugar becomes a thick liquid
- take it off the heat and on a parchment paper go left and right or in any direction that you desire
- Repeat this for each color.
- Clean up could be bit tricky so I recommend for you:
- Use only one sauce pan for this!
- Have pot of hot boiling water on the stove, and every time when you finish making caramelized sugar decoration, over the sink pour bit of hot water with the fork in and let the hard caramel melt.
- Spill the hot water and dry the sauce pan
- That way you will have ready pot in a few minutes.
- Making these sugar decorations is fun, and also fast.
- You will only need about 2-3 minutes to finish.
- Don't be afraid making these because they are really easy!
- I love sweet potatoes and I believe this nutrition packed veggie should be eaten often not only on holidays. If you ask me I like less busy dessert, but this is kind of occasion and celebration is calling for bright colors in any dish, so I made few really colorful and few Phyllo cups toned down . It was so delicious and yet so easy!